Train pass for the Interlaken area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 3:35:14 #814137

Trying to plan a two week trip to Europe and have a few questions regarding rail tickets and what passes to get. I’ll apologize for the long post ahead of time.

Here’s our itinerary:

London (2 nights) > Paris (2 nights) > Lucerne (2 nights) > Grindelwald [via Interlaken] (3 nights) > Mittenwald [via Garmisch-Partenkirchen] (3 nights) > Salzburg (2 nights)

Pretty sure we’ve settled on the Eurail Select Pass; specifically either 5 or 6 days over 2 months option. Almost certain Eurail pass will cover London to Paris, Paris to Lucerne and Lucerne to Interlaken. Where I get hung up at is what specific pass to get once we get to Interlaken.

We are likely staying in Grindelwald and I know that connection isn’t included in Eurail Select Pass. I know I have a few options and just don’t know which one is the best:

– Swiss Travel Pass (270 CHF)

– Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (CHF 250 for 4 days)

– Jungfrau Travel Pass (CHF 206)

From what I can tell, all three passes will cover travel around Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Murren. I am just confused on which one would be best option. I know that Swiss Travel Pass covers more and the Jungfrau Pass covers the least. Prices are that big of difference and didn’t know which one to go with. Since I already have the Eurail Pass to cover most of Switzerland journey. I’m guessing that I’m probably okay going with cheapest option – the Jungfrau Travel Pass – but wanted to make sure.

Also, I see there’s a discount for these Regional & Jungfrau Passes if you have the Swiss Travel Pass. What about with a Eurail Pass? And do these need to be bought beforehand or can I just purchase once I get to Interlaken?

Plan after Interlaken is to take LONG trip to Garmisch-Partenkirche with Eurail Pass and then buy separate ticket to Mittenwald. Then go from there to Salzburg and use Eurail day again.

So, I got on here mainly to get suggestions on what pass to get in Interlaken and to also make sure this itinerary looks okay to use Eurail Pass.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 5:36:42 #875060

Hi bsheff and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’d say you have reached the right conclusion. The only thing not covered by the Jungfrau Pass but covered fully or partially with the other regional passes is Schiltorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:40:27 #875061

>> Mittenwald [via Garmisch-Partenkirchen] (3 nights)

What are you planning to do in Mittenwald for 3 nights? It is a beautiful village, but very small, and could be seen in half a day.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:49:15 #875062

When are you traveling?

I’d say the Jungfrau Travel Pass is a good one for you as well. Be sure to check out the validity map / page here to see what is covered.

Also, there is a validity page for the Eurail Select Pass here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 14:20:36 #875063

Not set in stone concerning Mittenwald, but would like a more relaxing spot than super touristy. Could also do Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It’ll be early June so that’ll be peak season either way, but just looking for somewhere in a smaller village that’s still easily accessible and a good starting point for other day trips. Plan on probably hiking, heading to Neuschwanstein and/or possibly day trip to Dachau. I’ve stayed in Munich before and would just prefer somewhere a little quieter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 14:25:37 #875064

Thanks rockoyster & Lucas. I’ve definitely looked at those maps, but have just been a little overwhelmed by them. Figured I was looking at them right, but coming from someone in the US that doesn’t use public transportation/trains very often, I wasn’t 100 percent certain. I’ve downloaded both the SBB Mobile & Eurail Planner app and have messed with those timetables a little, but didn’t know if there was any option in there to see what passes worked with what trips. As far as I could tell, validity maps you provided were only way to get a good feel of what pass was expected where. Just don’t want to be that American that gets on wrong train without proper pass.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 January 2018 at 15:35:14 #875065

Hi there,

Today I discovered that the Jungfrau Travel Pass does offer a discount on the Schilthorn cable car: 25% off, so no additional advantage if you have a Eurail pass too. The map and further details on http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity have been updated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 6:04:36 #875066

>> Could also do Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember that the centre of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is up a steep hill from the station. There is probably a bus though.

Mittenwald is surrounded by majestic mountains, but is flat within the village, and the station is only a few minutes walk from the main street.

>> Plan on probably hiking, heading to Neuschwanstein and/or possibly day trip to Dachau.

The following Deutsche Bahn network diagram for Bayern (Bavaria) might come in handy. Getting to Füssen (to connect with the bus to Neuschwanstein Castle) is not straightforward by rail from Mittenwald, but there is a bus from Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Here is a link to the Deutsche Bahn timetable, for checking travel times and means of transport from Mittenwald to the places you want to go to. (You might already be using this.)

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ /bin/query2.exe/en?rt=1

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 22:51:29 #875067

Any clue what time the routes around Interlaken start (Jungfrau Travel Pass)?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 January 2018 at 22:57:13 #875068

Do you mean what time do the trains start running? Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to find out. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 0:18:54 #875069

Perfect. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Basically was trying to figure out earliest morning train out of Grindelwald to Interlaken OST. I’d then jump on train out of Interlaken and continue Europe trip. I’ll give those timetables a look over. Thanks.

• The thread ‘Train pass for the Interlaken area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.