Car or train for getting around Jungfrau region

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 January 2018 at 1:32:16 #873713

Hi Slowpoke,

I tried to figure out where you might have taken your Trachselwald Panorama from. First I tried to get the correct line by looking along the narrow un-treed area in the background. I marked that with a red line (see attached map). Then I extended that line in gold and figured that you took the images somewhere along there. I also made two lines to indicate more or less the left and right extremities of the panorama. I then looked at the map image you sent and see that I was a bit off on my line. I guess that I was to do no better since there was no easily identifiable object in the immediate foreground. But it was fun trying.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 January 2018 at 1:40:34 #873714

<<“at 48 by 22 inches ( 122 by 56 mm).”>>

Ooops- Centimeters. ;-(

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 January 2018 at 1:46:26 #873715

Good Evening Peterli-

<<“I tried to figure out where you might have taken your Trachselwald Panorama from”>>

Good try. Quite close. But , if you go up to the road which you picked for the highest possible origin, you lose the foreground. And, the next road downhill is buried in the forest or a valley.

Take a trip. 😉

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 January 2018 at 3:09:00 #873716

Hi Slowpoke,

I’m definitely going to check out the Trachselwald area, probably combine it with the Riggisberg region, which I want to explore as well. I’m trying to spread out a bit from my Suisse Romande comfort zone. I was pretty close to Trachselwald going from Neuchâtel to Lucerne a couple of years ago, driving via Bern, Langnau im Emmental, and Entlebuch. The “problem” for me in Switzerland is that there are so many interesting roads to choose from, and so one is bound to miss some stunning sights unless one does them all, an impossible thing to accomplish. If I was a bit younger, I’d be tempted to go around by motorcycle, which I did do a bit in Switzerland, Italy, and France when I was still a student. Ah, those were the days.

Peterli

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 January 2018 at 9:26:45 #873717

Hi Peterli –

<<“probably combine it with the Riggisberg region,”>>

I’ve walked in that area a very small amount, but did not find as much that appealed as I do in the Emmental.

Probably should go back with a car and drive a few more roads.That infamous auto graveyard is/was somewhere down in the valley near there, I think. Maybe near Mühlethurnen or Kaufdorf?

That valley between Bern and Thun is a very nice train ride.

Do your North Carolina relatives have any fans of American Professional football ( not soccer)?

If so, you probably should visit Unterfrittenbach, not too far from Zollbrück in the Emmental. Over the past few years, signs have appeared in the region, pointing to the village.

Do you know why?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 January 2018 at 5:41:17 #873718

Hi Slowpoke,

None of my North Carolina relatives have any interest in the NFL, but your question led me to find out that Ben Röthlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers can trace some of his roots to the Emmental, something I did not know but which comes as no surprise when one think s of his surname. Personally I am more into the real (FIFA) football, played all over the world. Since we are on the topic of the Emmental and sports, are you aware of one of Alchenstorf’s favourite sons ? Hint: He won the Swiss championship in his sport in 2013 in Burgdorf.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 15:24:55 #873719

<<” are you aware of one of Alchenstorf’s favourite sons ? Hint: He won the Swiss championship in his sport in 2013 in Burgdorf.”>>

No. but I have friend from Langenthal who would tell me if I asked him.

😉

How about this sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIHOV6VGNU

A few hundred meters to the east from the overlook and memorial by the Lueg in Kaltacker there is a playing field for that interesting sport. Saw it when hiking,and then learned about the sport.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 January 2018 at 16:27:57 #873720

Hi Slowpoke,

The man from Alchenstorf I was referring to is Mattias Sempach, and he was the 2013 Swiss champion in the sport of Schwingen. In that year the championships were held in Burgdorf, not far from home for him. Take a look at the size of the crowd for this event ! youtu.be/ynJ4opVBxZM

Have you seen any of the videos produced by Sarah Bachmann ? She has a whole series of videos where she tries her hand at one thing or another. In this one she finds out how difficult it is to play Hornussen. Sara machts beim Hornussen: youtu.be/yNufHlKzsBI

Peterli

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 16:47:41 #873721

Thanks- Sara is in over her head. 😉

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 January 2018 at 17:35:58 #873722

Ha ! She is quite often over her head, but she is fun, and it’s nice to hear them all speaking Swiss-German.

Peterli

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 22:03:35 #873723

I love the way your and Slowpoke’s thread hi-jacks lead into some weird territory.

If we had Schwingen in Australia it would be billed as the World Wedgie Championships. en.m.wikipedia.org/wik i/Wedgie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 22:20:46 #873724

Good evening ( or morning) Rockoyster.

Mostly, we try to keep it on point at least by relating it to Switzerland. Not Australia. 😉

Apparently your quaint Australian custom does have some dangers, but broken backs are not unheard of in Schwingen. Usually, for major events, they have a REGA helicopter oOr equivalent) standing by.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    13 January 2018 at 6:46:00 #873725

Hi Slowpoke and anybody still following this string.

Here is a video produced by SRF about Schwingen, with a special focus on Mattias Sempach, entitled Der König der Schweiz. It includes glorious views of the Emmental, some taken by drone. Even if you don’t watch the whole thing, you will hopefully enjoy what you do see. The face on Sempach’s little son when he is offered some soup at 10m21s is priceless: youtu.be/CX7t-LckFOo If you watch some of the actual matches, you will see how they shake hands and then the winner brushes some of the sawdust of the back of the one who lost.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Car or train for getting around Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.