Travel advice to Mt Titlis & Mt Pilatus in winter

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2016 at 13:59:58 #808761

Hi all,

I have got a couple of questions regarding the transportation to Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus.

Mt. Titlis

1. is it better to travel via this route –> Lucerne –> Engelbert –> Mt. Titles or from Trubsee –> Stand–> Kleintitlis?

2. Do I assume that I just take the train from Lucerne to Trubsee if I went for this second option?

Mt. Pilatus

3. on the webpage, it says that The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad does not operate in Winter, from about mid November to mid May (depending on the weather). but I managed to find some connections from the timetable.. how can I tell which type of transport it is from the timetable? (I’m plan to go on the 14.04.16) (see attachment below)

4. If the above cogwheel train doesn’t operate- is going via Kriens the only option to Pilatus?

5. Lastly, would it be better for me stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 March 2016 at 15:40:17 #850038

Hi superdrpanda,

1. Those routes are the same, you just listed different stops along the way.

2. No, you need to take the train to Engelberg, then walk to the cable car up to Mount Titlis (which will pass Trübsee).

3. Indeed it does not operate. You can click the plus icons in the timetable. That will show you it suggests a detour via Luzern and Kriens to reach the cable car.

4. Yes, that’s correct.

5. Both these towns are not in the area. I would stay somewhere closer for these excursions. From these two, Interlaken is closer though.

Enjoy your time in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2016 at 17:52:51 #850039

Hi Arno. Thanks for your reply and apologies for the spelling mistakes of the towns in the first post (I blame auto correct!)

I will be also staying in Lucerne (to travel to both mountains above) then I am unsure if I should stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen for Jungfrau and Schilthorn.

Thanks for your advice!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2016 at 20:46:36 #850040

Either of Luzern or Interlaken would be fine for staying. In both cases, one will be near and the other will be a little travel.

1. For Titlis, you travel from Luzern to Engelberg. From Engelberg Talstation you take the cable car that passes via Trubsee, Stand and Klein Titlis (and then the chairlift to the glacier)

2. For Jungfrau, you travel from Luzern to Interlaken OST. From there to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and the to the top.

So either ways you would have to travel from Luzern to Interlaken or vice versa.

• The thread ‘Travel advice to Mt Titlis & Mt Pilatus in winter’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.