Train from Italy to Lucerne – Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 21:25:24 #812987

Hello

We will be going to Lucerne from Lake Como. If we have the rail pass will we be able to use it or do we need to purchase that portion. Also we will be going to Grindelwald . not able to see times from Interlaken?? Site says unable to process

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2017 at 1:56:20 #868473

Hi Jsully-

<<“Also we will be going to Grindelwald. not able to see times from Interlaken?? Site says unable to process”>> That trip takes bout 25 minutes, more or less.

Not sure what the problem is, but I often break down my trips into segments for clarity with the timetable.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2017 at 2:07:31 #868474

Hi Jsully,

Swiss Travel Pass (I’m assuming that’s what you have??) covers your trip from Chiasso to Luzern. You only need to buy a ticket from Italy to get to Chiasso. If you have Eurail Pass covering Italy and Switzerland then you won’t need to buy tickets for Lake Como to Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 21:03:17 #868475

hello

I am still having a difficult time with schedule and times for trains…..we will be leaving Como Italy going to Chiasso for a connection to Lucerne. I want to plan the Como departure so that we aren’t sitting in train station for the Chiasso to Lucerne portion.

When I go to time table it continues to give me Zurich info ! We will be traveling 9/10/17………..help!!

Maybe I am on wrong site??

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 August 2017 at 21:20:20 #868476

Check the timetable link that I gave in my earlier post. Use the Swiss timetable from the SBB).

Trains over the Gotthard Pass route that proceed onward into Switzerland all stop at Arth-Goldau. Alternate trains go to either Luzern and on to Basel, or to Zürich. The train for the other of those two routes is waiting on the other side of the same platform…you might have to get off and walk across if the e one that you pick is going to Zürich.

However, all of that is clear in the SBB timetable. Just start from Como and go to Luzern. The SBB timetable will give you the fastest route.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 August 2017 at 21:35:26 #868477

Hi jsully,

Attached is an example which goes via the fastest route. No change of train at Chiasso. If you want to avoid spending 57km of the trip underground in the Gotthard Base Tunnel then add “via Göschenen” to follow the scenic Gotthard Panorama Express route.

I’m using the legacy timetable at fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en

• The thread ‘Train from Italy to Lucerne – Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.