Bernina Express from Lugano to St Moritz options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2016 at 7:42:22 #809408

I am planning to travel on Sept 30 from Lugano to St. Moritz or Pontresina via the Bernina Express scenic train and need some help. We are eager to experience this famous “the highest railway in the Alps” .

1) From the train map and description in your website , I understand the route would be a bus from Lugano to Tirano ( Italy) and then the train from Chur to Pontresin/St. Moritz , am I correct ?

2) When I try the online timetable , it give me the route with connections via Bellinzona on ICN ( train?) , then Thusis on Bus , then Regio Express (train?) to St Moritz with total duration 3:53 hrs, and noted runs daily , not 26 Jun until 28 Aug 2016 (what does this mean?) . This doesn’t seem to be the Bernina Express route via Chur. How do I find the one via Tirano ?

3) I am interested (as it’s direct ) but confused about the option using Palm Express bus ride . Would I miss the scenic views & ride thru the glaciers experience highlighted in the Bernina Express ? I try the online timetable for Sep 30 , it shows Lugano, Stazione Nord dep 12:05 St Moritz, Bahnhof arrive 15:45 Duration: 3:48; runs daily, 25. Oct until 9. Dec 2016 Mo, Sa, Su; not 10. Jun. Does the schedule good for Sept 30 ?

Please if someone can share me the experience.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 June 2016 at 8:14:12 #852918

Hi kwong, thanks for joining us! Let’s take a look at your questions:

1) Not quite. You’ll first travel from Lugano to Tirano by bus. In Tirano, and not in Chur, you’ll board a train heading for Pontresina/St. Moritz/Chur. Please refer to our Bernina Express page.

2) The timetable provides the quickest routes by default. All you have to do is enter “Tirano” as a via-station in order to force it to display the route you’re interested in. Additionally, you may want to consult the specific Bernina Express timetables. The appropriate link can be found here.

3) The Palm Express is a beautiful ride too, but certainly different from the Bernina Express route. You won’t ride along glaciers in this case. Yes, it will run on September 30. Please check http://www.postauto.ch for further information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2016 at 7:10:47 #852919

Thank you so much Annika for the clarification . . I will compare the pros & cons of the 2 options now. However just to be sure ,

1) do you mind check the attached online timeable snapshot if I get it right ? I should pick the one with the least no. of change , is it right?

2) The link you provide for the specific Benina Express timetables get me go back to the same page of Bernia Express page under tab “rout”e , and the same ” timetable ” icon on the bottom left section . Is that it ?

We are two couples first time travelling Swiss trying to follow Switzerland’ Best two weeks trip by train , I found your website very helpful & useful . I definitely will have many questions on lanning of the other routes , should I continue under this thread or open a new thread?

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2016 at 8:09:38 #852920

Hi kwong,

1) Your attachment shows the correct connection. It includes the normal regional train to St. Moritz. If you prefer the Bernina Express, you can wait until it departs at 14:03. Scenery wise there’s no difference as both trains take the same route.

2) Well, that’s one option, but you can also have a look at the link under “More on other websites” on that page. That’s the specific Bernina Express timetable Annika meant.

Please open a new thread for questions not related to this Bernina Express trip. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2016 at 19:14:05 #852921

I found the link now . Thanks so much again.

1. Now comes to booking & reservation, does Swiss Travel Pass covers the Palm Express bus ride ? As seat reservation is required , do we still go to PostBus website to make reservation ?

2. What about the route via Tirano ( Bernina Express -both bus and train section ) , reservation via the SBB site ?

3. I guess theoretically we have to buy the Swiss Travel Pass first before we make the reservations, so that not required to pay on booking ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 June 2016 at 11:58:17 #852922

Hi kwong,

1. Yes, the Palm Express is covered, please see the map at myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity. You are correct about reservations: myswissalps.com/ bus/reservations.

2. No, through the link you’ve found now.

3. You can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home through the websites listed here. Whether you do so before or after you book seats does not matter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 7:59:04 #852923

Hi Arno, I am still confused with the booking / seat reservation . I try the link for Bernina Express (http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info ) and pretend booking for Sep 1 for the route Lugano to St Mortiz , complete all the steps upto the rquirement to make payment for the ticket, there is no option to just make seat reservation /pay the seat reservation surcharge only if I already have a Swiss Travel Pass already ( pls see attached printscreen ) .. I quit when the site ” Safterpay came up for payment . Is that there will be option to do so beyond that ?

Regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 8:01:49 #852924

oops , I forgot to attach the screen print mentioned in above . Attached herewith . Sorry for so many questions

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 June 2016 at 8:43:10 #852925

Hi kwong,

You need to select the pass in the “Tickets/Reductions” box during the stage where you enter the passengers. If you skip that it will assume regular tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 5:08:36 #852926

Allright , I overlooked. My sincere thanks for being so helpfull and patient with me !!

• The thread ‘Bernina Express from Lugano to St Moritz options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.