Travel from Pinsec & local amenities

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2016 at 22:17:36 #809809

Hello,

I have rented a small home in Pinsec, Switzerland and I was looking for some information on travel.

1. I am aware there is a cable car that goes up the mountain, is there anywhere I can find a map of its route?

2. Is it possible to get a taxi or car service from Pinsec to somewhere like Zermatt? Not worried about price but need to know what travel options there are in and out of Pinsec

3. Are there small shops in Pinsec to buy food or would I be best to go to a bigger town?

Many thanks if anyone has the answers to these questions 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 August 2016 at 23:21:17 #854815

`Hi Jacobena-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

<<“I have rented a small home in Pinsec, Switzerland and I was looking for some information on travel.”>>>

When are you traveling, an how large is your group?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2016 at 23:31:11 #854816

I am just by myself. I will be there in the first week of Jan to the end of Feb.

I see that Saint-Luc is close would there be a way to travel there to get food etc…

Thanks 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 August 2016 at 23:37:29 #854817

Check the timetable-

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and the map.

map.search.ch/St-Jean,Pinsec?pos=610518,118778&z=25 6

Look under menus – Ponits of Interest/Traffic, turn on Traffic to get icons for bus stops,. and expand the map.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 7:04:56 #854818

But before you book a holyday from 8 weeks on a unknown place you look for information before, I think………..

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2016 at 7:19:14 #854819

Hi Jacobena –

Here is another very detailed topo map.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=true,false&X=11 8077.50&Y=610810.00&zo om=7

You will be approximately 1 km away from a bus stop in Mayoux, which is approximately 90 meters downhill from Pinsec.

Zoom in and out and look to the west and north, and you can see the ski slopes/cableways based at Chalais.

If you look at the Mapsearch.CH map which I linked you to before, and turn on Mountain Transport in the Traffic sub-menu, you can also see the ski slopes to the west of Pinsec.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 9:43:44 #854820

Well there is a group of people I just have my own house. I’ve been to the Swiss Alps before so I was just finding out some information of my own. Thanks for your concern though LOL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 9:44:39 #854821

Thank you very much!!! This is exactly what I needed 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 9:50:54 #854822

Another question.

Is there snowfall in Pinsec/around that area (Mayoux etc..) like the rest of the Alps? I assume there is but can’t find many photos to make me 100% sure.

thank you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2016 at 12:30:49 #854823

<<” Is there snowfall in Pinsec/around that area (Mayoux etc..)”>>

I suspect that the cableways, in a group, that I mentioned that are visible on those maps, are likely put there for skiers…..;-)

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2016 at 15:20:32 #854824

<<“2. Is it possible to get a taxi or car service from Pinsec to somewhere like Zermatt? Not worried about price but need to know what travel options there are in and out of Pinsec”>>

Take the bus(es) from Mayoux down to the Rhone Valley to Sierre, then the train from Sierre to Visp and Zermatt. I suspect that you would be shocked by the price of a taxi…ask when you get there., or try the internet. Might be more reasonable if you used a taxi down to Sierre, but, still, I’ll bet that the price will surprise you.

I have attached a screen grab of the service in October. The timetable for next year is not available until mid December, but the service is almost surely the same.

You’ll find the timetable useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

By the way…it can take less time to get to Interlaken than to Zermatt. Although, the most scenic part of the Jungfrau region is south of Interlaken….Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald….which adds some time to the journey

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Travel from Pinsec & local amenities’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.