Travel pass for 4 days Lauterbrunnen and more

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 19:02:01 #809443

Hi Arno, your assistant is deeply appreciated

My family and I will be traveling from Venice to Lauterbrunnen for 4 days. But realistically we have only 2 full day as our last day we will be heading to Paris. That’s our initial plan. We are planning to do the top of Europe and cable car. Can you kindly assist us:

1. With the Swiss pass, we are entitled for Glacier, Bernina and golden pass. Would you advise us to start from Zermatt from Venice? Or finish it on the way to Paris? Or leave it for another day?

2. If let’s say we start off Glacier, Bernina or even Golden pass train somewhere near Lauterbrunnen, (because we are planning to stay there as it is easier to get into Paris.) can we get off another stops from Glacier, Bernina or even Golden pass train and comes back to Lauterbrunnen again?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2016 at 1:27:14 #853087

<<“My family and I will be traveling from Venice to Lauterbrunnen for 4 days. “>>

When?

Slowpoke

Annika
    7103 posts
    15 June 2016 at 5:18:00 #853088

Hello uknowwhich00, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You don’t have enough time to include all activities on your list. I am not sure what your priorities are, but this is one of the options:

• Day 1: Venice – Milan – Tirano – St. Moritz (Bernina Express);
    • Day 2: St. Moritz – Brig – Spiez – Lauterbrunnen (Glacier Express);
    • Day 3: Jungfraujoch. I don’t know which cable car you are considering but perhaps you can include it this day if you start early;
    • Day 4: To Paris.

This is a lot of traveling and there’s a risk in only staying one day in Lauterbrunnen as you need good weather for your Jungfraujoch visit.

The Swiss Pass is not useful as it’s for Swiss residents, but the Swiss Travel Pass may fit your needs if you are going to travel a lot.

Please see the above links, and the planning page, to compose your itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 10:05:41 #853089

Thank for your reply.

The dates for now is 16th sept – 20th sept. We just minus a day from Paris.

I’m not sure having an extra day will help or not but to do the glacier express or Bernina or golden pass, we are planning to not even stay at Lauterbrunnen. Lets say we have 5 days now departing from Venice, where should we stay to do the top of Europe, glacier express. Is there an exit from Swiss to Paris at the end of glacier express? My mum really wants to do one of they train rides.Thank you for your patience and time.

Annika
    7103 posts
    16 June 2016 at 5:00:52 #853090

Hi uknowwhich00,

You could still do it as suggested, but with extra time in Lauterbrunnen, so better chances to visit Jungfraujoch during good weather. If you prefer less train rides, another option is to go straight to Lauterbrunnen, stay a few days, take the Golden Pass line to Montreux and go to Paris via Lausanne or Geneva.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2016 at 8:50:06 #853091

Hi uknowwhichoo –

You picked an excellent time of year to visit the Alps. September is, on average, the driest month, so you have abetter chance to have good visibility. That iis our favorite time to go. In 2009, we were up at Männlichen, near the Jungfrau in late Septembe and had truly wonderful weather, See attached images:

The planning page linked by Annika is very thorough and includes a link to the timetable.

Even if you don’t need all of the ideas in that link, simply using the timetable can often answer basic questions….for instance…how to get from any Swiss station to Paris.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I have attached a screen grab to show you an example from Chur.

If you open the timetable and find a journey, you can click on the “+” sign to the left of the particular journey to expand the details. In the footnotes of that expanded link, you can find a map of the journey.

Annika gave you the link for the Golden Pass route

The link for the Glacier Express can tell you where it starts and ends, and you can see where to get off or pick it up partway along the journey if you choose.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

When planning journeys in Switzerland, I find a good map to be very useful. if you zoom in on this one, you can see the rail lines. if you use the menu under “Points of Interest” you can make the train stations visible, best done when zoomed in on the map a bit.

map.search.ch/?x=50320m&y=-41904m&z=1

Annikas suggestion to focus on the Jungfrau region and take the Golden Pass route to Montreux seems to me to be an excellent way to meet your objectives.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Travel pass for 4 days Lauterbrunnen and more’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.