Trip from Lauterbrunnen to Eigergletscherand

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2012 at 14:06:38 #805568

Hi
    I planning to get atrain from Lauterbrunnen to Eigergletscherand and get off the train and latercatch the returning train back to Lauterbrunnen. The schedule was as given as attachment 1.

But when i tried to get faresfor this route the sbb website it gave me the error message in attachment 2.

Can I have this trip from Lauterbrunnen to Eigergletscherand and back to Lauterbrunnen withoutgoing all the way to
    Jungfraujoch andpaying for the whole trip (which is a bit expensive for me)
    thank you
    Suad.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 August 2012 at 5:03:42 #837024

Hello Suad. That’s possible, but I wouldn’t do it if I were you. Kleine Scheidegg is more impressive than Eigergletscher in my opinion, so you could just as well get to Kleine Scheidegg and don’t travel any further. Routes and fares are to be found in the timetable and the Jungfrau railways website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2012 at 8:45:32 #837025

Hi annika
    thanks for the replay.

I wated to go to Eigergletscher for a round trip just tb be as close as i can to Jungfraujoch.
    However, if i choose to stop at Kleine Scheidegg, how can i spend my time (an hour) there.
    Is there any thing spcial at Kleine Scheidegg.

regds.
    Suad

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 August 2012 at 8:52:36 #837026

The view from Kleine Scheidegg is magnificent. You’ll enjoy it for an hour, either from a restaurant or outdoors.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2012 at 11:29:23 #837027

Hi Arno

I tried the suggested route from LAUTERBRUNNEN to KLEINE SCHEIDEGG it gave me few trips during the day, but when I tried to check the fare it displays the following note:

Station/stop not found. Please check spelling

Ticket for a single journey or a return journey within Switzerland.
    This ticket is available as an OnlineTicket and depending on the relation also as a MMS Ticket. Special conditions apply for OnlineTicketsand for MMS Tickets.

what does this mean?

regds.
    Suad.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 August 2012 at 11:42:05 #837028

You do not need (nor should you want) to buy your ticket in advance. You will not want to make the trip if the weather is cloudy and the tickets would be non-refundable. There is no advantage to buying the tickets ahead of time. They are always the same price regardless of when you buy them and there are always tickets available.

Agree with Annika that Kleine scheidegg is far more scenic. You could also stop one stop further up the tracks at Eigergletscher Station. They have a lovely patio restaurant overlooking the glaciers. Of course you can see the same glaciers from KS but you are closer at Eigergletscher.

Depending on time of year, a great outing is to stop at Kleine scheidegg, have lunch there overlooking the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and their glaciers, then hike (about 1.5 hours) up to Männlichen for a stunning panoramic view. Take the gondola from Männlichen down to Wengen, look through the village there, then continue by train back down to Lauterbrunnen. This would make a very nice outing indeed.

Full fare return Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg is 53.80 CHF, Eigergletscher – Kleine Scheidegg is 69.40. You can see fares here http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/tickets-fares/lauterbrunnen/

The Männlichen cable car ride down to Wengen is 24 CHF full fare one way. You can see fares here http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/wengenmaennlichen-aerial-cableway.html

Depending on other travels you will be doing in Switzerland you may want to purchase a Half Fare Card for 110 CHF. This gives you 50% off of all travel within Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Trip from Lauterbrunnen to Eigergletscherand’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.