Trip report Sept 2018, day 12-Locarno

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    4 February 2019 at 0:20:16 #819768

Today we decided to attempt to catch a local bus to Ascona further south on the lake. There was some kind of car display going on in Locarno near our hotel, so the bus route was changed somewhat but we managed to find the right bus and enjoyed a ride with the locals.

It was hard to remember we were in Switzerland and not Italy because of the Italian being spoken all around us. We found our way to the lake from the bus stop and then wandered about looking at some old churches and other buildings in this nice little town.

As this excursion only filled up the morning, after getting back to Locarno we caught the train to Bellinzona to see the Unesco listed castles. Or rather one of the castles, Castelgrande, as it is the only one with a lift and is closest to the station. We could see the other two castles, Montebello and Sasso Corbara from a distance when up at Castelgrande.

Castelgrande is the oldest castle, being built in the 13th century. It was interesting to wander about the grounds and there is a small museum inside as well. The weather was still very hot so after a while I felt like going back to our hotel. At least 26 degrees is cooler than 30 degrees or whatever it was outside.

Day 13: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2013-day-13-thun

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    4 February 2019 at 14:41:34 #903468

Hello Judy52 – Thank you for your trip reports I really enjoyed reading them and it brought back many special memories of my trip there – especially your mention of Jungfraujoch, Locarno and Bellinzona. My trip to Locarno co-incided with the film festival and I even met one of the stars of the film I Daniel Blake , Dave Johns – what a lovely guy he was.

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 12-Locarno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.