Trip to Bernese Oberland: in June or September?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 18:05:43 #825170

Hi all

Thanks for reading. I know this question has been asked before, sorry for being repetitive, but other questions haven’t addressed exactly the points i wanted to ask about.

We can travel to Switzerland June 16-26th or some time in September (no specific). I’m travelling with my wife and two older parents who cannot hike. We will spend 60% in Interlaken, visiting the alps and (via cable car, no hiking) and surrounding area and over to Geneva for day trips etc and down south to Lugano for the rest of the time.

My main question is around the weather, of course with a huge caveat that weather is unpredictable and anything could happen at any point, but it seems from my research that September has the greatest chance of clear skies in the Bernese Oberland of the two months, is that correct or are they about even?

As my parents can’t hike, the other consideration i have is whether we will be able to see snow capped mountains just walking around lower level towns like Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen, it seems we wouldn’t in September (on average) but would in June, along with the wildflowers in June, i’m leaning towards June, but if September is significantly clearer skies/sunnier, then that may be the best. Or if we can see the year round snow capped mountains from lower altitude so could still get them in photographs, then September may be worth it.

Kind regards

Ian

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2020 at 19:48:12 #929844

Hi Ian and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The snow cover will definitely be more impressive in June, but the weather possibly more unpredictable – who knows?

For some photos taken last September see this trip report.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 19:58:25 #929845

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The photos are helpful. Thanks

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    9 February 2020 at 23:53:59 #929846

Hi Ian

Average rainfall in Grindelwald in June is about 4.5 inches and in September it is 3.5 inches. Perhaps more enlightening is there is some precipitation recorded 45% of the days in June and 35% of the days in September. But interestingly June and September are almost identical in cloud covered days (48% and 49%) defined as partly to mostly cloudy. Average temperatures are almost identical in June and September as well.

Of course more snow and wildflowers in June but the peaks as Jungfrau, Monch, Eiger and nearby ones will have snow as well in September just not as impressive.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 11:19:37 #929847

Hello Ian,

First of all get an overview of the to-expect weather in Switzerland in below links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit
    http://www.myswissalps.com/weather

As for the seasons, summer, so June, bares more risk of thunderstorms, especially in the mountain area, as the temperatures often are quite high and so is the humidity. However, these storms are normally mainly towards the end of the day and not permanent rainfall.

September can be a wonderful month, not too hot but still warm and with nice sunny days, but on the other hand also bares more risk or more permanent rainfall.

As for the snow mountains, especially in the Bernese Oberland you are quite literally surrounded by the mountains and anything above approx. 3’000 meters above sea level has snow all year round anyway, so you’ll be fine in that region at any of the times, snow-wise.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland

Hope this provides some insight. Feel free to get back to us for further input.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 11:25:59 #929848

Thanks so much for all your replies. It has been very helpful. If it’s the odd thunderstorm in June i think that adds to the experience and atmosphere and i’d rather that than persistent rain. Really helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 11:49:26 #929849

I would say that’s the attitude and YES, thunderstorms can be an incredible experience, for sure! 🙂

Kind regards,
    Steph

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2020 at 1:00:04 #929850

Most were taken in September 2009 – Attached.

I’d go in September. Better chance of clear weather. Drier than June. However, fewer flowers in the meadows than June.

The Grannies Walk is the local’s name for the spectacular easy hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Trip to Bernese Oberland: in June or September?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.