Trying to find location of this Swiss farm

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2020 at 15:58:28 #825595

Hello. While visiting Swiss relatives in my youth around 1980, I was taken to this farm, where we slept on the straw before hiking up into the nearby mountains. I have many fond memories of the experience, and would like to learn more about the geography etc. of the location. Sadly, I can no longer find my relatives and so cannot ask them about this place. Is it possible that anyone is able to identify this farm? Are there any chat rooms, online bulletin boards, or other online resources that might help me find someone who may know?

Thanks very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 June 2020 at 9:30:11 #933738

Hi Berniesfrey,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The scenery reminds me Engstligenalp: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/engstligenalp. But, I don’t recall a farm of that size, and there are more valleys similar to this. If you have any further clues like nearby towns or how you traveled to the region, please share them here. That may help the other members to solve this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2020 at 17:08:52 #933739

Thank you! I very much appreciate your response and willingness to help. Here is what I know. It was August 1980. We drove from Lenzburg through Zurich (or at least near Zurich and we took a brief side trip to drive though it). We parked and hiked along a relatively flat trail next to a beautiful alpine stream. I don’t believe it was possible to drive to the farm, and that you had to take this hike along the stream to get there. One thing that struck me throughout was that the hills above had multiple military cave-like features. And I believe there were spent “dummy” shells around that my Swiss cousin said was from the mountain artillery practicing. Attached are more photos. After staying the night at the farm, we hiked up those mountains and slept in the snow above tree level. I thought perhaps seeing the mountain peaks, and/or valley below would help identify the location. While the detail is not clear, I believe the one photo shot down into a valley (marked photo number 7) is of the farm location. A small spot at the bottom of the valley may be that farm. Sorry, it was so long ago.

I know it’s a long shot, but it’s worth asking if anyone may be able to help to me locate my cousin. He lived in Lenzburg. Father’s name was Alois. Mother’s name was Rita. Brother’s name was Eberhard.

Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2020 at 20:14:34 #933740

Sorry, forgot to say that my cousin’s name is Kurt Meier.

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 June 2020 at 13:46:55 #933741

Hi Berniesfrey,

Based on your information, I’m thinking this might be somewhere in the Mythenregion in Central Switzerland. I’m guessing somewhere around Hoch Ybrig. Need to do a bit more detective work to find out exactly where. Do you remember if you needed to take a cable car up? Or how far is the location of the farm from Zurich or Lenzburg?

Sorry you lost touch with your cousin. Since you mentioned he and his family lived in Lenzburg, it’s probably best to contact the Lenzburg Gemeindehaus (registry office) and see if they can help. A short info about tracing relatives and researching Swiss genealogy here: http://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/usa/en/home/services/genealogy/research-switzerland.html Hope that helps!

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2020 at 15:11:40 #933742

Thank you very much! We did not need a cable car. We hiked from our car along a relatively flat stream (where we could see the gun emplacements and saw spent projectiles along the way). From the farm we hiked up into the mountains. It took us all day to get up there. The trip down was faster, as we sort of shoe-skied on the slick glacial snow pack. Scary and dangerous, but definitely faster than hiking! I’ll look around the area you suggest on Google Earth. Thanks again for your suggestion. Also, thanks for your guidance on tracing my cousin. I will definitely try that.

• The thread ‘Trying to find location of this Swiss farm’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.