Understanding the Golden Pass time table

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 22:42:03 #816055

I’m having difficulties understanding the Golden Pass line Time table maybe is because of my inexperience traveling by train? “http://www.happyrail.com/en/g olden-pass-line

I’m trying to schedule a trip from Interlaken to Montreux in the VIP section but can not figure out what time the trains departs Interlaken, what is the route, etc?

There is a row with numbers 2111, 2115, 2117,etc. what does the row means?

Another item I can not find is the departure station, West or East/OST station?

I haven’t had problem with the regular train time table but this one puzzles me!

Thank you in advance for your help

Alfonso

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 0:02:40 #885576

Hi Alfonso,

The Golden Pass route can be tricky because you are not on one train for the entire trip. Between Interlaken and Montreux you will change trains in Zweisimmen. Zweisimmen is where you would board a panoramic train that would have VIP seats. Due to construction on the line however, between Zweisimmen and Montreux the panoramic trains aren’t scheduled to run currently.

When are you traveling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 1:30:32 #885577

Thanks Lucas for your reply it clears some questions and then adds more!

We are two couples and will be traveling Switzerland for 9 days but the day that we are going from Interlaken to Montreux is September 7

What would you recommend?

Looks like my original plan may work better, Interlaken to Zweisimmen on a regular train and then change over to the Panoramic Train.

But if the panoramic train is not going to be in operation not sure what to do?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 1:34:58 #885578

Sorry Lucas

Read your replay again!

Did you meant that there will be no trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux or only the panoramic train?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 1:40:03 #885579

Only regional trains are scheduled to run between Zweisimmen and Montreux until June 1 (this is the only section of the route the panoramic trains run on normally)

BUT the VIP seats are being taken out of service on September 3 for renovations I’m sorry to say.
    You can still travel 1st class on panoramic trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux but not in VIP seats after September 3

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 1:49:19 #885580

Today I purchase the 2nd class 8 days Swiss Pass, I’m waiting for the tickets so we can book that leg.

If you recommend that we do 1st class for that leg of the trip can we upgrade?

Is there any place that shows me the seating arrangement, train layout, etc.

I been told that that leg of the trip is the best views and hate to miss out.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 2:40:41 #885581

You can find out how to make reservations on the Golden Pass Line at http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure. You don;t need to actually have the Swiss Travel Pass when making reservations just so long as you have it or a ticket when you travel.

If you want to upgrade to 1st Class read this thread. It is not Golden Pass specific but applies equally to all trains in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 2:52:23 #885582

Hi alfonso,

>> I’m trying to schedule a trip from Interlaken to Montreux in the VIP section but can not figure out what time the trains departs Interlaken, what is the route, etc?

The VIP seats are not on every Golden Pass train. There are only two departures daily in each direction that have the carriage with the VIP seats. From Montreux these are the 9:44 and 15:44 departures; from Zweisimmen, the 12:25 and 18:25 departures.

However, as Lucas has already mentioned, the carriages with VIP seats are being taken out of operation at the beginning of September for renovation. This will last until an as-yet-undetermined date in 2019.

The normal panoramic windows in both first and second class provide wonderful views in any case.

You can make reservations up to 90 days ahead of your travel date on the following site, which allows you to pick your seats:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:85383617194559 18::NO:::

If you wanted an alternative “special experience” between Zweisimmen and Montreux, you could try the historic Belle-Époque trains, which are currently being renovated, but will be brought back into service on 30 June 2018. They will be identified in the SBB timetable as GoldenPass MOB Belle Époque. They are not currently showing up as such in the SBB timetable for your date of travel, but I would expect this to change. The usual departure times from Zweisimmen for the Belle-Époque trains are 11:05 and 16:25. There is more information about the Belle-Époque trains here:

http://www.mob.ch/en/goldenpa ss/offer/view?id=13

>> There is a row with numbers 2111, 2115, 2117,etc. what does the row means?

They are numbers assigned to specific train departures, to provide a unique identifier for that train on that route at that time. You will see the same numbers in the Swiss Timetable

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)

>> Another item I can not find is the departure station, West or East/OST station?

This leg of the Golden Pass starts from Interlaken Ost, but also stops at Interlaken West en route. (Interlaken West is the first stop).

>> Looks like my original plan may work better, Interlaken to Zweisimmen on a regular train and then change over to the Panoramic Train.

The train from Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen is always a normal train. The train with panoramic windows that extend into the ceiling only operates between Zweisimmen and Montreux. They will be back in operation when you are travelling, but (as Lucas has already mentioned), there will be no VIP seats in first class, just the normal first-class seats.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 14:15:55 #885583

I spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what was going on with the Golden Pass Train and was going nowhere, unfortunately there is nothing in the web that tells you what you guys explained.

Thank you guys for your help I finally understand it.

Alfonso

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 15:49:38 #885584

Alpenrose

I liked the idea of the Belle-Époque Train, it would be an excellent experience!

I went to the site you gave me and looks like I can make a reservation but not sure what wagon is considered the Belle-Époque?

Also I did not see any departure time at 11;05?

I attached a snap shot of the schedule that came up.

What I’m doing wrong?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

Alfonso

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 17:20:55 #885585

Hi Alfonso,

You can find a PDF schedule for the trains here. The blue shaded timings are the Belle Epoque trains and there is an 11:05 listed there and on the timetable from Zweisimmen to Montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:21:29 #885586

>> I went to the site you gave me and looks like I can make a reservation but not sure what wagon is considered the Belle-Époque? Also I did not see any departure time at 11;05?

On the Belle-Époque trains, all carriages are Belle-Époque carriages.

Normally, you can only reserve 90 days in advance, so I am surprised that you are getting the option to make reservations now for services on 7 September.

I would try again 90 days before your travel date and first check the Swiss Timetable for the Belle-Époque services (noted as GoldenPass MOB Belle Époque), note the times they are running (most likely departing Zweisimmen at 11:05 and 16:25 as in the past), then make a reservation on the Golden Pass reservation site.

If the Belle-Époque services are still not showing up in the Swiss Timetable 90 days before your travel date, try again from 30 June onwards, when they are scheduled to come back into service after renovation.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Understanding the Golden Pass time table’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.