Visit Switzerland for 3 days in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2017 at 16:26:19 #810509

Hi, we are a family of 5 (Age around 20+ & 55+ ) planning to go to Switzerland to have some fun and good memorable memory for us.

here are our schedule,

on 21 April 2017 we will touch down to Zurich Airport around 13.30 (Local Time) and straight away planning to go Jungfrau Region on that day (please advice how to get the train to go there) and we will be staying around there for 2 nights and also we should be back to Zurich on 23 April 2017 (Early in the morning) because we will be staying at Zurich for one day and on 24th April will go for our next trips.

Please advice how to go to Jungfrau region from the airport, which hotel should we stay, what kind of things are we looking in Jungfrau region, and the cost to go up to top of Europe.

Is it enough time to go around Jungfrau region for just one day? I mean go to Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Top of Europe and we are also like see hand made Cheese factory & Chocolate factory.

Any recommended places other than i mention above? Please advice too.

Thanks before in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2017 at 22:10:06 #857730

Hi Hoerendy-

Welcome to my Swiss Alps. Even though it is a veryshort time, you should have a good trip. You have picked some good places. Possibly, you will not be able to do all of those things, but you should be able to get to most of them.

I’ll only answer part of your questions directly

<<“Please advice how to go to Jungfrau region from the airport, which hotel should we stay, what kind of things are we looking in Jungfrau region, and the cost to go up to top of Europe.

Is it enough time to go around Jungfrau region for just one day?”>>

It is not enough time to go around the Jungfrau region for one week, let alone one day. However, there is one important feature of the region which makes a one day only trip a particularly bad choice. it is the weather. You go to see the high altitude sights…the Jungfrau. If it is cloudy at high altitude, you pay a lot of money to see the inside of a cloud. Boring and expensive, both at the same time. ;-(

The weather can change rapidly; forecasts around the mountains are not reliable for more than 24 or at most 48 hours, and there can be sudden changes. The best approach is to locate at Interlaken (not a good tourist destination but a good transport hub) and go somewhere else by train if the Jungfrau is socked in. If the weather is good, you can catch frequent trains to the Jungfrau.

Also, April is still pretty much late winter at high altitudes. The snow cover is getting bad for skiing, so there are not so many skiers, but it is heavy enough that the hiking trails are all closed above maybe 1500 or certainly 2000 meters. Some hotels and restaurants will be closed until June.

So, your opportunity to do some really nice hikes would not exist until late June or early July. For a comparison- the automobile roads that cross the high Alpine passes open in the first or second week of June when the snow can be plowed away and generally will stay away.. Generally, that is, unless there is a late snow.

Check these links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

How to get there? By train.

Look in the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please be sure to read the introduction pages.

Enter Zurich Airport for your starting point. End at Interlaken or Wengen or Grindelwald. Depending on whether you come from a Schengen country ( no passport check) or instead from one that requires a passport check, you can be on a train as soon as one hour or 1 1/2 hours after you are out of the airplane.

See attached screen grab. Most of those trains connect at Zürich main station and Bern. Some go direct to Bern and have only one connection to continue to Interlaken….connecting at at Bern.

Click on the “+” to the left of any trip for more details.

If you buy a ticket at the ticket counter, they will print out an itinerary for you. Nice,but not necessary. Please note that there are frequent trains and your ticket or rail pass will be good on any of them for that day. So, if you miss one, catch the next one.

If a fare is shown in the timetable, it is usually a 50% fare for Swiss residents who have a 50% general discount card. Arno and Annika are experts on train costs and discount passes. I am not.

This will start you on the Jungfrau region:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Let us know your thought as you proceed with your plans. We can offer suggestions.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    3 January 2017 at 8:56:34 #857731

Hi hoerendy,

If you have little time you might be interested in this day trip: myswissalps.com/ onedayjungfrauregion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 14:35:12 #857732

Hi Slowpoke & Arno sorry for the late reply i have been so busy lately,

Maybe i will consider of taking one day trip as Arno suggested to me, cause i only have 1 day to spend in Jungfrau Region and it already cover mostly all of the things that we need to see in Jungfrau Region. Am i right?

That one day trip is it included jungfraujoch ticket (Top of Europe) ?? and how much for the ticket of one person?

Do i need to get Swiss Rail Pass ? and which one suit for us?

Thanks again

Arno
    15482 posts
    4 January 2017 at 14:43:18 #857733

Hi hoerendy,

The suggested route of that page certainly makes sure you will see some of the highlights of the region. You can’t see it all though, and you will need to tweak the itinerary so it fist your needs. Schynige Platte won’t be open in April, for example. Perhaps you could squeeze in Jungfraujoch if you skip the short hikes that are suggested. One day is tight, but if the weather cooperates you can see great things. Work with the timetable Slowpoke gave you to find all schedules.

A 3-day Swiss Travel Pass would work for you, or a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can do the math as explained here if you want to do detailed calculations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 15:37:21 #857734

Hi Arno,

Since i cant see or do much in April, what do you think about this package below??

http://www.viator.com/tours/Z urich/Jungfraujoch-Top-of-Europe-Day-Trip-from-Zurich/d577-2460JUNG

is that be enough for us to cover some of the things since we dont need to stay at Interlaken because Slowpoke said some of restaurants and hotels in Interlaken mostly will closed until june.

actually i just want to enjoy the villages and the mountain (Especially Jungfraujoch).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 16:21:38 #857735

Hi Hoerendy,

I like the idea of that tour for you as a good option from Zurich – you still see what is most important to you and everything will be open for you in Zurich when you are there.
    Do you enjoy being on tours and keeping to the pace of other people? If you don’t mind it looks like a good option for you – however it is a long day!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 January 2017 at 2:10:13 #857736

Hi Hoerendy-

<<“is that be enough for us to cover some of the things since we dont need to stay at Interlaken because Slowpoke said some of restaurants and hotels in Interlaken mostly will closed until june.

actually i just want to enjoy the villages and the mountain (Especially Jungfraujoch).”>>

I was not clear about closing dates. I apologize for the confusion.

You are more likely to find most places open in Interlaken – at low altitude, with a good transport connection to the rest of the world – than you would in the pretty villages closer to the Jungfrau.

The pretty villages closer to the Jungfrau are at various altitudes, and the higher you go , the later Winter remains.

My cautions about closure until June relate mostly to the villages and tourist services closest to the Jungfrau at the higher altitudes, for example, in Wengen.

Check the pages for specific towns or the Jungfrau region, and look at accommodations then check the web sites for opening date, or telephone them or e-mail them.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ci ties… search for Wengen, Mürrren, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

Arno and Annika know the region well and probably can suggest hotels that will be open when you are there.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2017 at 12:10:42 #857737

Thanks for the advices everyone 😊

• The thread ‘Visit Switzerland for 3 days in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.