Visiting Switzerland and Paris-rail pass options?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2016 at 15:26:41 #810451

Visiting Switzerland and Paris in April-May 2017; Does the Eurail Select pass 2 country cover my entire trip?

Hello all,

I am Dr Naren from Malaysia. Hope you’re doing good. Would really appreciate it if I could get further advice on my trip.

Total passengers: 5 adults + 1 toddler(travelling together all the time)

Duration of pass required: 5 Days

Below is an attached itinerary and exact transport required.

1.Will the Eurail Select 2 country pass cover my entire trip? If not, then how much discount do i get on the respective routes?

2.Which train service is the best in terms of comfort, for Interlaken to Paris?(and is this included in the Eurail Select pass 2 country)

Thanks a million.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 December 2016 at 16:50:48 #857437

Hello Dr. Naren, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. What covered in the Eurail Select Pass can be found here: myswissalps.com/ eurailselectpass/ validity.

2. The best option is to take any train to Basel, and switch to the TGV Lyria train to Paris. Other trains or buses from Basel to Paris take much more time.

Note that there’s a discount on the pass if you buy it this month. Please see myswissalps.com/eurail selectpass/promotions and myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/discounts-on-eurail-and-interrail-passes.

Price wise, you might be better off with a Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass for Switzerland and one-way tickets (purchased well in advance) for your trip to Paris. You can do the math to be sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2016 at 18:37:26 #857438

hello Arno,

Thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated.

Just a few questions, say I have purchased the Eurail Select Pass(2 county):

1. I wish to travel from Geneva to Montreux via Lake Geneva Cruise then Montreux to Interlaken via Golden Pass train, will this be possible for free with the pass?(will this be possible at all since the Geneva to Montreux via Lake Geneva Cruise takes about four hours, will there be Golden Pass trains still departing Montreux when i get there)

2.Is the Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken route included in the Eurail Select Pass(2 county) for free(I cannot find this stated explicitly anywhere)

3.For the long Basel to Paris trip, do you suggest getting first class tickets? If so, since i have bought the 2nd class Eurail Select Pass(2 county), is there any way to get an upgrade when paying reservation fees?

I know the above questions are a bit in-depth but I have never been to Switzerland and my specialty is more of curing people from disease rather than planning great vacations. From the other forums postings, its obvious that you, Mr Arno, have been a Godsend to many travelers like me. Thanks a million in advance. Really looking forward to the much anticipated trip, far away from work and the hospital.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 December 2016 at 9:20:59 #857439

Hello Dr. Naren,

Thank you for your kind words! As for your questions:

1./2. Please see the page I mentioned in point 1 of my previous answer. You can download the map from there for all details about what’s covered. Most routes you mentioned are free, except Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen, which is 25% discounted.

3. My suggestion would be to travel in 2nd class. It is comfortable, and free with your pass, apart from the required seat reservation. To be honest, I don’t know of a way to upgrade to 1st class on that particular route if you already have a 2nd class pass. Within Switzerland this is rather easy as you can simply buy an upgrade ticket at any station at any time. They may sell such tickets for routes in France too, but I am not sure about that, and it could be quite expensive if you buy it last minute. I don’t know of a way to do so online.

If you have not purchased the Eurail Select Pass yet, you can simply buy a 1st class ticket for that leg if you wish, and use a pass for Switzerland for the rest of your trip.

• The thread ‘Visiting Switzerland and Paris-rail pass options?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.