Walk combining trip on Lake Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2016 at 14:11:57 #810299

Hi all

I am thinking of staying in Luzern and as my Swiss Travel Pass covers a free boat cruise on Lake Luzern I would like to combine this with a hike in the area. I have seen that there are various hikes around the lake. Not particularly interested in combining Mt titlis or Mr Pilatus as they use cablecars and we don’t like this form of transport. Anyone hiked down from Mt Rigi as looks like I can get to the top of this mountain by cog railway

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 November 2016 at 14:20:38 #856848

Hi twiggy321,

Indeed you can reach Rigi Kulm (the top station) by cogwheel train: myswissalps.com/rigi. When will you be in the area?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2016 at 14:34:21 #856849

I am planning a trip next July

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    2 November 2016 at 5:17:04 #856850

Indeed, you can walk down from the Rigi. With a bit of luck you may see the old steam train they run on that line. It’s built at an angle so the boiler is level when it travels up hill.

If you want something flatter, you can walk around the lake, or at least parts of it. The views are very pretty and you can hop on one of the beautiful ferries for the trip home.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2016 at 7:43:18 #856851

Hi Twiggy –

Take a look at this and consider some part of the Swiss Path:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Search the Forum and the internet for Swiss Path ( der Weg der Schweiz).

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2016 at 13:58:49 #856852

Hi Twiggy

Take a look at Switzerland Mobility- hiking.

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/w anderland.html

I did so and entered “Rigi” in the search box; then I picked a hike …any one will do, but the one centered on Rigi Kaltbad is useful.

That allows me to see an excellent map which shows hiking trails, which you can expand by selecting “Enlarged Map.”

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/r outes/route-0558.html

I find that Rigi Kulm is at 1752 meters elevation; Rigi Kaltbad at 1433 meters, and Vitznau ( representing lake shore elevation) is at 435 meters.

Unless your legs are in very good shape, a walk from 1752 meters to 435 meters elevation will kill your knees.

If you want to do an easy part, walk down beside the railroad tracks from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Staffelhöhe, then turn right and walk out over the meadows to the nice viewpoint at Känzeli, and then continue onward to get you back to the cograil at Rigi Kaltbad. That 300 meter descent is a lot easier on knees, if you are not in shape. Nice views at Känzeli.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2016 at 21:33:33 #856853

Thankyou for your replies

Slowpoke your knowledge as always is superb and I have looked at your many suggestions. Now I am stuck with where to choose a wish I could stay longer. however I now know it is an area I will return to

Many thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2016 at 22:40:35 #856854

Hi Twiggy –

Thanks for the compliments. I hope that my comments can help you create a holiday to remember.

We have spent as much as a week or ten days around the Vierwaldstättersee at one time, and always go back when we are in Switzerland.

Not sure what your interests are, but, if you have rainy day, or like special buildings (other than what you can see in the UK) , you might like to visit Schwyz:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/schwyz-and-the-ital-reding-house

I have not yet completed a post describing Hammetschwand, but it is fun to have lunch up there on a nice day:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift

Here is some text from my not yet complete “posting-to-be”:

<<“DRAFT

There is a mountaintop “restaurant” near Luzern on top of the Bürgenstock peninsula at Hammetschwand. It is delightful place to have a light lunch on a sunny day. Or, a not so light lunch. 😉

More than a sausage stand, it does offer full plates, but, it is more like a glorified sausage stand than a full restaurant. And, prices are a small bit higher due to the need to bring everything in/up to the restaurant.

Because of the 360 degree views, combined with a modest walk on an excellent trail to get there (and back out.) it is a spectacular visual experience, with just enough exercise to help you enjoy the meal or walk off some of it.

Now, in early 2016, the only problem is that construction of new buildings up there has disrupted some of the travel network.

Until the last couple of years, a really nice way to get there was to take a lake boat on Lake Lucerne to near Kehrsiten, then ride the private funicular up the hill side to the famous luxury hotels on top of the peninsula. Their fame has diminished a bit, they are being rebuilt, and new construction includes luxury apartments with stunning views. There is lot of money from other parts of the world that would like to invest in premium Swiss real estate, and the new construction here surely meets the standards for that sort of funding. It is possible to walk safely through/past the construction site, on the road, but the funicular is not running.

So, I’m posting this with the belief that the public transport system will return to its really excellent state in a few years. Meanwhile, it is possible to get there, but it is not quite so straightforward, nor so scenic as the route that I just mentioned.

One way to get there remains the same. It requires a car. Use an automobile to drive up the back side of the peninsula from Buochs and Ennetbürgen to a parking area near Honegg. Walk toward Bürgenstock hotels for 15 minutes or so on a level road. Then as you pass the restaurant on the left, turn right , upwards, past the small church, and enter the Felsenweg (rock path). This a wide smooth trail (suitable for wheel chairs, although it does climb a bit) that runs gradually upward along the cliff face to an outdoor elevator (der Aufzug) which is visible in some of the attached photographs. You do have to pay for it. It takes you in spectacular fashion to the top of the peninsula, where the restaurant awaits. (There is a trail down the backside of the cliff/peninsula to connect with the level road you came in on, so, if you don’t want to pay for the elevator, you can use that strenuous option in either direction. Much less scenic.)

The Felsenweg and the restaurant on top at Hammetschwand are closed in the winter and in months when the Felsenweg is not suitable for walking on.)

Another way is to take the bus from Stanstad to Oberbürgen/ Bürgenstock. Walk a short way, then pick up the level road I mentioned and continue from there. It is in the timetable. It does take a while to make the trip from Luzern.

Once you are up on top, you will be rewarded with the views and food shown in the attached images.

This not something that is on the normal tourist routes. You will, however, see groups of swiss making the pilgrimage….such as local Jodlerklub or Wandergruppe.

“>>

EllenS recently provided the attached picture, which can help understand the geography around the lake.

Lots more in the area.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Walk combining trip on Lake Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.