Wengen or Grindelwald? Zermatt accommodation.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2017 at 0:01:51 #813736

Hi,

We are planning an 8 day trip to Switzerland July 2018. 4 days in the Jungfrau area and 4 days in Zermatt. We would be interested in people’s opinions about whether to stay in Wengen or Grindelwald. Any accommodation tips would be welcome. We are mid range pricing people but value for money. Also similar tips for accom. in Zermatt would be welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2017 at 2:35:09 #872350

Hi AussiRH,

If you ran a survey on this forum I reckon Wengen would be the winner – hands-down.

This thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim offers perhaps the definitive guide.

Someone else will no doubt chime in with Zermatt suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2017 at 6:55:37 #872351

Hi AussieRH,

Have a look at our web pages on these towns as well. They have lists of activities in the area as well as our hotel suggestions: Wengen, Grindelwald, Zermatt. Murren is also a nice town in the Jungfrau region you may like.
    On average you will find prices in Zermatt to be quite high but there are deals to be found – its an expensive town in an expensive country.

Wengen certainly does seem to be the most popular town from our forum members.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    28 November 2017 at 7:19:17 #872352

Hi AussieRH

My personal preference is Grindelwald, but either place is magical. I think it comes down to whichever town you stay in the first time, that creates a powerful first impression. Wengen is slightly more compact as well as being car-free which creates a different ambience, particularly at night.

As far as accommodation goes, I always suggest people check out holiday apartments (Ferienwohnung, or FeWo in German) because they can be a lot cheaper than hotels. The only drawback with a FeWo is that a lot of them can only be rented for a week at a time, but if you see something that takes your fancy, just enquire. July is the high season, so it may be difficult. You could always extend your trip😊.

Have fun

Alan

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    28 November 2017 at 12:25:21 #872353

Hi AussiRH,

We stayed in Wengen for 5 days and Zermatt for 5 days this past September. We have stayed in Wengen at the Beausite Park Hotel several times and have loved the accommodations , food , and staff. photo attached of view from hotel. I would say Wengen is substantially smaller and less commercialized than Grindelwald. I have found TripAdviser a good website to see how other travelers have rated and reviewed hotels. you can then pick a property that meets your price point and needs. A recent forum user found an apartment at Bort near Grindelwald that looked very nice.

The hotel in Zermatt are more expensive. We stayed at the Riffelalp resort just above Zermatt. I would say it was very beautiful with gorgeous view of Zermatt and Matterhorn as well. But quite fancy and expensive. When compared to price of entire trip maybe not so bad. Attached photos of Riffelalp Hotel and views of Matterhorn and Zermatt from hotel. Mark

• The thread ‘Wengen or Grindelwald? Zermatt accommodation.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.