Looking for affordable restaurants in Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 1:54:32 #812707

What are the best restaurants in Wengen that won’t totally break the bank? We don’t need anything fancy, just good food and service.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    23 July 2017 at 12:02:40 #867243

This is probably not what your looking for but we stayed at the Beausite Park Hotel in Wengen on the half board rate. I believe the hotel is ranked #1 by trip adviser and the room rate with 2 meals was not bad. We found the food excellent and I would say casual not fancy. You have your own table overlooking the mountains for your entire stay. If you have a bottle of wine that you don’t finish they keep it for you to have the next night. Overall a great experience. The hotel has a large number of British tourists who stay every year which is also a good testament. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 17:48:44 #867244

The restaurant at the Hotel Baeren, I’m writing this from their restaurant now. We are staying here for a week for the second time and can wholeheartedly recommend both the hotel and their cuisine. Lovely family that own and run it and their staff are obliging and so pleasant

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 18:02:23 #867245

Hi Alethea and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Coop grocery stores, one of which is in Wengen, are always a good source of cheap good take-away food as well.

Lucas

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    23 July 2017 at 18:16:43 #867246

Hello Alethea,

If you want to pick up your own food there is a Coop with all kinds of reasonably priced items right near the Wengen Bahnhof (train station). Their hours are 08h00 to 18h30, seven days a week. If you want to sit down in a restaurant, why not try the Restaurant Eiger, right there across from the train station. They open at 08h30 and close at 23h30. I travelled with a group of students here a good number of years ago, and we were in search of a great birchermüesli, and we were not disappointed. Put one of those away (for breakfast or lunch) and you are set for the day. http://www.allabouttravelling .com/bircher-muesli-recipe-a-swiss-breakfast/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 23:46:20 #867247

Many people speak well of Da Sina, both in terms of quality and price. It is located just off the main street less than 10 minutes walk from Wengen station. To get there, walk up the main street (Dorfstrasse), up the hill past the Hotel Schönegg, and turn right. It’s marked on Google Maps.

http://www.dasina.ch/en/eat-drink.html

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2017 at 1:42:07 #867248

Hio Alethea-

I too like da Sina.

Any Swiss restaurant will break the bank if you are form a country with lower costs for meals. The Big Mac Index gives a clue:

http://www.statista.com/stati stics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

This link is a good guide for Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

She likes the Bären.

Slowpoke

MelindaE
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 July 2017 at 6:51:06 #867249

Hello Alethea

We stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss just a few weeks ago and each night for dinner they had a lovely four course menu for 25CHF a person. The food was delicious and the service was fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and meals there. We also brought snacks and items to pack for lunches at the local supermarket Coop

Enjoy:)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2017 at 8:56:32 #867250

Bonjour Peterli –

God suggestion.

Since the Hotel Eiger was converted into apartments, one can no longer stay in a room with the attached views.

However, the Restaurant Eiger, has become quite good on its own, and has developed a “farm-to-table” cuisine. Locally sourced foods where possible. I’ve eaten there in the past year or so, and the kitchen does a good job. Don’t recall the price range, so it cannot have been out of sight- either high or low. 😉

And, you cannot beat the location for convenience.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 11:54:36 #867251

Hi MelindaE,

Do you happen to know whether the Hotel Edelweiss has an a la carte menu for those who are not staying there, and, if they do, how that compares for price?

Thanks!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 July 2017 at 18:49:44 #867252

Hi Slowpoke:

It has been many years since I have been in Wengen, and I see that another element in the reorganization of the building was to create a space for the Raiffeisen (Bank) on the right end.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2017 at 21:15:16 #867253

Bonjour Peterli –

<<“It has been many years since I have been in Wengen, and I see that another element in the reorganization of the building was to create a space for the Raiffeisen (Bank) on the right end.”>>

Yes, but the food is not very good there. 😉

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 July 2017 at 23:22:44 #867254

Hi Slowpoke,

Well, you certainly can’t get a birchermüesli in the Raiffeisen. 😉

But their money is as good as any you will find in Switzerland.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 July 2017 at 23:59:44 #867255

Bon soir Slowpoke,

“Since the Hotel Eiger was converted into apartments, one can no longer stay in a room with the attached views.”

Was that first image, “From-the-Hotel-Eiger”, really taken from your hotel room ? I know the general view, looking down to the Lauterbrunnen valley, but I would have thought there would be traces of structures in Wengen in the forground. In any case, it is a lovely image, as good as any postcard I have seen. When I was a little boy, it was an image of this valley that first made me want to travel to Switzerland.

Your “Times Square” image reminds me of la Fête de la Désalpe in Lignières (canton of Neuchâtel) in late September. I know this has nothing to do with Alethea’s question, but others may be reading these threads, and might not know about the Désalpe. The 42nd edition will be on September 23, 2017. It is always a busy last Saturday in the area as it has to compete with la Fête des Vendanges in Neuchâtel and la Fête de la Brocante in Le Landeron. I went to Lignières a few years ago and it was really interesting and fun: http://www.fetedeladesalpe.ch /

MelindaE
    Participant
    8 posts
    25 July 2017 at 0:12:30 #867256

I am not sure Alethea however you can check out there website http://www.edelweisswengen.ch /en/

I love how they have a special mention that the way to a person’s heart is through their stomach so they obvioulsy value their food service

Good luck

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 July 2017 at 8:09:12 #867257

Guete Morge Peterli-

Since we are discussing the Berner Oberland, we should use a proper greeting for the region, I think.

berndeutsch.blogspot.c om/2011/03/greetings-in-berndutsch.html

<<“Was that first image, “From-the-Hotel-Eiger”, really taken from your hotel room ? “>> Yes, really. Actually, to be precise, from the balcony. . We had a room on one of the higher floors, and I almost surely used a 150 mm lens on my 6by7. In 35 mm camera equivalents, that would be approximately a 75 mm lens. We woke up to that view before breakfast, and I hurriedly set up my tripod and snapped a roll of 10 frames of 120 film. Probably Kodak EPP. As I straightened up from finishing those shots, I heard a voice- “Did you get it?” The clouds and the light were shifting. If you know the Hotel Eiger, the balconies of the rooms were quite close, and the person in the room to our left had come out to see the same view. — <<“I know the general view, looking down to the Lauterbrunnen valley, but I would have thought there would be traces of structures in Wengen in the foreground. In any case, it is a lovely image, as good as any postcard I have seen. When I was a little boy, it was an image of this valley that first made me want to travel to Switzerland.”>>

This view (attached) compelled me to return time several times until I had a rare clear day allowing visibility all the way into the valley, with almost no haze. This version is a bit over saturated, but it was my first large print to be hung on the wall. Roughly 30 by 75 cm. It catches visitors eye. 😉

It was taken just above the point where the old tracks and the new converge as the tracks come up the hill near the station in Wengen. Probably, an 85 mm lens…about 45 mm equivalent, but possibly the same longer lens as before.

One of my favorite images of the region is the one attached from near Männlichen (Passing Tschuggen), even though it lacks a good composition, because the two small figures are my daughter and granddaughter in 2009. For composition, “Eiger and Tschuggen” is better.

<<“Your “Times Square” image reminds me of la Fête de la Désalpe in Lignières (canton of Neuchâtel) in late September.”>>

I also have attached two images from the Alpabzug above Ennetbürgen.

To close then, after those images, I suppose that something in L0zärner dialect would be appropriate, but I don’t know how to say ( or write) that.

Perhaps the Berner “adjeu” will do for you?

Slowpoke

PS- please forgive the layout of this post. The Forum software apparently prefers to close up spacing after carriage returns….sometimes. I tried to open up the first paragraph for clarity, but could not get it taken apart.

• The thread ‘Looking for affordable restaurants in Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.