Where to find wild flower meadow in July?

• Albi
    Participant
    25 posts
    5 December 2019 at 4:25:18 #824601

Hi experts,

We will arrive Zurich on July 18 from Colmar, France and will depart from Geneva airport on Aug 3. We are keen in landscape photography, besides all the beautiful sceneries in Switzerland (lake, mountain, charming village), we are looking to photograph wild flower meadow in bloom.

Greatly appreciated for location where it is safe bet to find wild flower in July. People mentioned that June is the best month, so will July is too late?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2019 at 19:48:06 #926065

Hi Albi,

this one is a similar thread:http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/best-basecamp-for-wildflowers-in-late-june, it might be useful for you too.

I am afraid that because of the global warming you won’t see many flowers middle of July. The best months for flowers are from the end of April to June.

You should probably visit an alpine garden, they might have some flowers still blooming in July. You can find one for example at Schynige Platte: http://www.myswissalps.com/schynigeplatte.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 December 2019 at 8:08:20 #926066

Hi Albi

I saw lots of flowers in July 2018 at the Rotmoos meadow. Canton Berne, near Thun. Closest post bus stop Innereriz Säge. But I agree with Ildiko, June would be better.

Some hints ( in German) here.

Albi
    Participant
    25 posts
    6 December 2019 at 14:22:55 #926067

Thank you for your reply! My original plan was to visit mid June but the airfare did not work out well so I had to change to a month later. Well, Switzerland is a destination not for one time visit, there will be another visit.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 December 2019 at 1:40:34 #926068

Hi Albi-

<<“My original plan was to visit mid June but the airfare did not work out well”>>

That is a clue. There are good reasons that visitors don’t travel to Switzerland in April. You have chosen to go at time when many special Swiss places at high altitude are between seasons. Did you try early June?

You may wish to adjust your plans to meet the season. Focus on low altitude regions.

Geneva, Luzern, Lausanne….

Slowpoke

Anna
    6274 posts
    7 December 2019 at 8:10:33 #926069

Hi Albi,

For the purpose of your travel, I would recommend exploring the many flower trails on the mountains if you don’t mind a bit of hiking.

If you are in the Jungfrau region, there’s a trail at the top of Mürren called the Allmendhubel Flower Trail. It’s open from June to October. I cannot guarantee the flowers will be in bloom in July but the view is fantastic regardless. You can check out the information here: jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/tracks/muerren-allmendhubel-with-flower-trail/

A bit further but still in Bernese Oberland is the Adelboden Flower Trail, open from May to October. The hike is explained on the website at this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/sillerenbuehl-hahnenmoospass

You can also read more about the trail from here: http://www.adelboden.ch/en/s/flower-trail

I would like to suggest the Narcissus Trail near Montreux but I think July would to be too late to view the flowers in full bloom.

Best regards,

Anna

Albi
    Participant
    25 posts
    7 December 2019 at 14:18:59 #926070

Thank you all for the link information!

I don’t mind to hike up the high altitude for alpine meadow flower field. I have about 12 days in Swiss and will purchase Swiss Travel pass. Our base will be 3 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Luzern, 3 nights in the Bernese Oberland area, 1 night in Zermatt and 3 nights around the lake shore of Geneva.

Zurich – if there is blooming trail near St Moritz, Guarda, Ardez and Scoul, I will make an effort to visit.

Bernese Oberland – you already provided me the link

Zermatt – is there late blooming trail where I can photograph with Matterhorn as background?

Lake shore of Geneva – I don’t think there is any late blooming trail but my main goal is the photograph the church at Ligerz.

The first week of month is the only week that is hard for me to travel due to my job, so if I miss that time frame, I have to wait until the following month. This trip has been under my radar for the past 2 years and it is finally happened. I am keen in landscape photography and this trip is primarily to photograph the beautiful Swiss sceneries (charming towns, mountains, lakes). I already bought the airfare so date cannot be changed. For sure I will make another visit during late May to visit the narcissus train as well as the iris garden at chateau de Vullierens.

My trip also includes Lavender field in Southern France that more likely after the first week of July and Tuscany sunflower field, hopefully late July and Swiss is in between, so I am trying to make the best of it if mother nature is acting normal.

Many thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    Anna
    6274 posts
    7 December 2019 at 15:02:21 #926072

Hi Albi,

Using the Swiss Travel Pass is a great was to explore Switzerland. You can buy it online from any one of the resellers on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

Make sure you download the validity map: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

When you are in Zermatt, perhaps you can check out the Rothorn Flower Trail on Sunnega. On a clear day, it offers plenty of photo opportunities with the iconic Matterhorn in the background. The hike is explained on the website here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/riffelalp-sunnegga, and for more details, check out this link: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Planning-hikes-tours/Flower-Trail-Nr.-3

Closer to Zurich, you could do day a trip to Flumserberg and hike its Alpine Flower Trail. Details here: http://www.flumserberg.ch/Summer/Activities/Hiking/Flower-trail

Sometimes you don’t even have to travel far to see wildflowers. You will come across plenty of open meadows and flower fields when you travel in Switzerland, some in full blooms if you’re lucky, just make sure you have your camera on standby at all times. Good luck!

Regards,

Anna

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    7 December 2019 at 18:33:26 #926073

We saw lumps of wildflowers around the Five Lakes Trail in Zermatt in mid August. Also on the the trails around Kleine Schedegge. At those elevations.

Not a whole meadow but lumps here and there and some tiny flowers, lovely nevertheless.

I liked to incorporate these wildflowers in the foreground of each photo, so I still managed to get lots of photos with flowers in them.

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    7 December 2019 at 18:48:01 #926074

A few of the photos came up from my Google Photos search. These were taken with my cell phone in August 2019.

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    7 December 2019 at 18:52:06 #926075

Sorry, I posted the same photo twice. First time doing attachments. Don’t know how to remove it.

Anna
    6274 posts
    7 December 2019 at 19:06:56 #926076

Hi Virgingorda,

Those are really lovely photos! Thanks for sharing.

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 December 2019 at 19:39:24 #926077

<<“Sorry, I posted the same photo twice. First time doing attachments. Don’t know how to remove it.”>>

No problem. It is nice enough to look at it twice. Those are excellent compositions.

Slowpoke

Albi
    Participant
    25 posts
    8 December 2019 at 0:39:20 #926078

Hi Virgingorda,

Nice shots, thanks for sharing!

Hope that I will be lucky as you when we will be in Zermatt next July :-).

Albi
    Participant
    25 posts
    8 December 2019 at 0:43:57 #926079

So I will be late for wild flower meadow, but I hope that the villages and bridges will be lovely with the colorful hanging flowers 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 8:34:36 #926080

Hello Albi,

You will definitely see red geraniums from many of the wooden chalets in the various villages and some apartment terraces in the cities will have them too!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    8 December 2019 at 9:58:10 #926081

Thanks, all, for viewing my photos. Nice to have an audience else these photos just stay on my phone! 😁

Oh, you’ll find beautiful planted flowers everywhere. See some examples in the attachments. The ones with water were taken around Lake Geneva.

And in July you’ll still have plenty of wildflowers.

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 10:05:05 #926082

Hello Virgingorda,

Thanks for posting such beautiful photos and for your comments! We appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 December 2019 at 10:15:08 #926083

Hi virgingorda –

<<“Thanks, all, for viewing my photos. Nice to have an audience else these photos just stay on my phone!”>>

The compositions that show a recognizable location in the background, such as the Matterhorn, are particularly effective. And, the limited depth of field in some may help, rather than hinder…that is a matter of personal taste in photographic techniques.

Trip reports in this Forum-

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports

are always nice, and many are read by those planning trips, even if they are simply a bunch of photos with a meager caption for locality. So, if you want to get the photos off your phone and available for view, now’s your chance. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where to find wild flower meadow in July?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.