Where to stay in Bern & Jungfrau regions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 15:40:54 #814281

Hi,

I’m planning a trip this late April.

My main destinations are in Bern Region and Jungfrau.

I wonder where to stay:

I thought maybe Gruyere can be a good option (there are many things i want to see), but I’m afraid it is too crowded, am I right?

More options are Murren, gimmelwald and lauterbrunnen.

I’m looking for a traditional swiss village, that is not too crowded, and that’s located pretty much in the “middle”. I guess it needs to have a good access to transport, so it would be easy to travel outside the place.

I know I need to take weather conditions, so the lower places are preferable.

I would be very happy to get an answer!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 19:19:17 #875847

Hi Glenn and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Oh it is tough to stay in a small, traditional Swiss village that also has good access to transit (the small villages tend to be tucked away!).

How long are you here for? I would maybe split between two bases if possible: Murren or Wengen for the Jungfrau Region and maybe a larger but still very nice town like Bern or Freiburg? April is low season here so it will not be that busy and in fact you will find a lot of maintenance closures on the mountains as you are in between seasons at that time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 February 2018 at 2:47:44 #875848

Hi Glenn-

<<“My main destinations are in Bern Region and Jungfrau.”>>

I understand “jungfrau” but I don’t understand “Bern Region.”

Do you mean near to the city of Bern?

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

Or, do you mean the Berner Oberland?

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Or, do you mean in Canton Bern?

See attached map.

Knowing the answer will help us offer advice.

Gruyeres is not in Canton Bern, nor close to the Bernese Oberland. It is in Canton Fribourg.

You may find this map useful to understand the geography:

map.search.ch/Greyerz?pos=606208,178688&z=8

Zoom in to zoom level 32 and the train lines become very clear.

A train ride from Greyerz ( local spelling) to the Jungfrau takes as little as 4 hour and 41 minutes. or as long as 5 hours 15 minutes.

The advanced timetable at this link will help you understand travel times:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 17:01:53 #875849

Hi,

first, thanks for the answer.

I made a little search, so I know better now:

I meant to Canton Fribourg but either to the city Bern.

I wonder if Murten can be a good option. It has a good location, and it looks beautiful.

I am going travel Switzerland for a month, so thanks for the first advice, I decided to split between two bases- Canton Fribourg and jungfrau.

I would like to hear suggestions, if you have.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 0:12:25 #875850

I stay in Switzerland every year in May too early June. I choose Lauterbrunnen because of its traditional Swiss Village. It is not a busy town compared to the others around and has beautiful waterfalls and is Central to all the hiking. If you’re looking for a little traditional Swiss Village Lauterbrunnen is your place

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 8:44:11 #875851

Hi Glenn,

>> I wonder if Murten can be a good option. It has a good location, and it looks beautiful.

The Altstadt/vieille ville (old town) is lovely, although the fact that it isn’t pedestrianised detracts from it a bit in my opinion. It can be seen in a couple of hours.

If you stayed in the Altstadt/vieille ville, you would have a bit of a walk to and from the station (slightly uphill from the station if I remember correctly). I wouldn’t bother staying anywhere outside the Altstadt/vieille ville.

As to location, Murten/Morat is a little bit out of the way. It wouldn’t be my choice as a base. Before settling on it as a base, I suggest you use the Swiss Timetable to plan the day trips you would be undertaking from there. That will help you decide how well it suits your needs as a base location-wise.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2018 at 9:29:30 #875852

Hi Glenn – Good rail service from Fribourg itself, since it is on the main rail line.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where to stay in Bern & Jungfrau regions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.