Where to stay on a budget in Val Poschiavo?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2019 at 0:46:07 #823606

Hello,

I will be travelling through Switzerland this October, staying in the Valposchiavo area for 3 nights. My plans are to hike Ozpizio Bernina – Lago Bianco – Sassal Masone – Alp Grüm one day. I’d also like to explore the village of Poschiavo at some point.

Can anyone recommend what city/village I should be looking at for accommodations? As I am traveling alone, I have been booking hostels and Air BnBs (under $100CAD/night, usually around $50-60CAD/night). When I search for something actually in Poschiavo, I get no results. I’ve found listings ‘in the area’ (ie. Graubunden or Grisons), but I have no idea where these small places are, if they are practical for my plans, and I’m having trouble finding information.

If someone can point me in the direction of where I should be looking, I would greatly appreciate the help. I will not have a car, I will be traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    27 August 2019 at 7:36:29 #921093

Hi aderoy,

Welcome to the forum!

At the end of May we stayed at the Hotel Suisse in Poschiavo, a lovely little hotel in the Old Town area across the river from the main train station. It cost 136 CHF for two of us, including a lovely breakfast spread. Not sure if they have single rooms.

We also spent an amazing night at the mountain hotel Berghaus Diavolezza, 260 CHF for the two of us, including breakfast, dinner, and the return cable car. I think they may have dorm rooms.

Have a fun trip,

Narelle

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 August 2019 at 8:35:41 #921094

Hi Aderoy,

Here’s a budget option at the Bernina pass: https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Hotel/Albergo _Ospizio_Bernina.htm.

And a few more in the valley:

All three are near train stops.

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    28 August 2019 at 15:19:30 #921095

Hi aderoy.

I spent 4 nights in the area in early summer 2018, specifically to explore the locality centred on Poschiavo by train. I was on a very tight budget, on an Interrail (= Eurrail) 22 day pass, and it made very good sense to stay in Tirano. The advantages were:

1) Much greater affordability – I had a basic budget en suite single hotel room for under £40 a night at the Hotel Corona, Viale Italia 19, 23037 Tirano – not fancy, but perfectly clean, pleasant and serviceable, and with breakfast included. Others were doing the same, staying in a variety of airbnbs and cheaper hotels in the town, and they were happy to be doing so while exploring the Bernina line. Savings here enabled me to have the occasional treat in Swiss cafés and restaurants

2) Shopping in Tirano is very cheap in a range of local supermarkets

3) a fabulous – and fabulously cheap – pasta and pizza shop El Trigo between the hostel and the stations

4) it’s a compact little town, hotels very close to the two stations

5) The Swiss Travel Pass will take you over the border into Tirano

6) Any excuse to use my Interrail pass on the Bernina line train as much as possible for short trips to attractions such as the Brusio viaduct, the lovely Miralago and walk alongside the lake to the next station Le Prese, Poschiavo itself, and the fabulous climb on the train, with amazing views and a lovely series of local walks between Poschiavo and Alp Grüm, near the top of the route. It’s about 40 minutes, sometimes less, on ordinary trains (approximately hourly) from Tirano to Poschiavo, and another 40 minutes from there to the summit. What views!

7) You can take a trip by train (2 hours) to Milano if you wish, though that’s not on your pass.

The snaps show the lakeside walk between Miralago and Le Prese (view towards Poschiavo), the astonishing Brusio viaduct from that village, and on the walk from Alp Grüm down to Poschiavo that constantly crosses the switchback railway.

It was a memorable stay – I’m sure yours will be too

Hope that’s a help

John

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2019 at 15:31:33 #921096

Thank you all for the recommendations! John, your idea of staying in Tirano sounds wonderful, I will look into that! Thanks for providing all that info, I really appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone!

Allyson

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2019 at 16:36:22 #921097

Hi Allyson,

you could check these hotels in Tirano, they are close to the station and they seem to be good deals regarding the price:

• The thread ‘Where to stay on a budget in Val Poschiavo?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.