Which pass for Wengen, Mürren and Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 16:27:19 #823434

I will be arriving in Zurich and going to Wengen by train for a few days then up to Murren. While there I want to go up the mountains on the cable cars and such and also do the typical tourist stuff. Then I will be going to Zermatt for a few days and want to go up al the mountain cable cars/trains that are there too. From there I will be going back to Zurich to head home. I have looked at the different passes and think the Swiss Half Fare card is a good one. What about the Jungfrau travel pass? Or the Swiss travel pass? I’m not sure what to do? Can I get them on line or just wait when I get to Zurich to purchase at the train station?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 August 2019 at 17:11:07 #920239

Hi Happybeetle8,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I think you’ve narrowed it down to the two most obvious passes. To choose between them, you’d have to do the math if you want to be sure which one works out cheapest. It depends on how long this trip takes, when it takes place, and which exact day trips you’ll make. The below pages provide all the details, including coverage maps and step by step calculation instructions:

If you’re more concerned about convenience and don’t want to arrange for tickets for each trip, them the Swiss Travel Pass is best. The Jungfrau Travel Pass could work if you travel before October 27, but it is only valid for a very small area, so you would then need other tickets/passes for the rest of your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity.

Both passes can best be purchased online and printed at home. All purchase options are here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 17:26:46 #920240

Thanks for your reply! I think it comes down to the Swiss Half fare or Swiss travel card. Is there that much difference between them? Going next June 2020. 4 nights in Wengen and 4 nights in Murren, then 5 nights in Zermatt.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 August 2019 at 17:32:26 #920241

You’re welcome! Yes, they are very different products. Please see my links. I would prefer the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass for this itinerary. Personally I would stay in Wengen or Murren, not both, as they are very close together. You can see one from the other!

More details can be found here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 17:47:52 #920242

Unfortunately the person I’m traveling with wanted Wengen and I wanted Murren, so we compromised to do both! It will only take a few hours to move to Murren when we are moving, so it won’t be too bad. lol. I will look at your links.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 17:54:22 #920243

When I look at the two different cards, the biggest difference is price! 500 vs 118 I think it was. Why is one so expensive?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 18:06:58 #920244

When I look at the time tables and for me being a senior I get a cheaper price for 1st class than 2nd class. Is this without one of those passes?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 19:12:33 #920245

I have somewhat similar itinerary – 1 night on Lake Brienz, 2 nights Wengen, 2 nights Murren and then 2 nights in Rivaz(Lavaux vineyards) and back to Zurich. After spending hours over the maths, I opted for 6 day Bernese Oberland pass and a Saver Day Pass on our last day when heading back from Rivaz. And while at Rivaz we plan to use the free local pass that the hotels provide. Swiss Travel Pass doesn’t really work while extensively using cable cars in the mountains. We also found the half fare card combination actually working out more expensive. We leave tomorrow for Zurich!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 20:46:41 #920246

Have a great time! I will still be here trying to figure out all this! I am not understanding how to use the spreadsheet. Do you have to put all the prices in yourself?

• The thread ‘Which pass for Wengen, Mürren and Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.