Challenging winter hiking in Jungfrau region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2019 at 14:10:13 #820236

Hello everyone,

I will visit Grindelwald on the 9th March. First time for me in Switzerland.

I am an experienced hiker. Hiked mainly in the UK.

I am planning a route for a winter hike on the 9th of march .

I found 3 options:

• First – Bachalpsee – Waldspitz- Bort

• First – Bachalpsee –Faulhorn – Bussalp

• Mannlichen -Kleine Scheidegg – Alpigen

I would like to have suggestions on the aforementioned hikes.

Which one you advise ?

Which one is the best/ most spectacular ?

I am looking for spectacular views and a challenging day 🙂

Thank you in advance

Gabriele

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2019 at 16:30:24 #905659

Hi Gabriele,

Use this link to get a general overview of the available hikes in the Jungfrau Region:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

This link will also be helpful to find options: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/winter-hiking/

To find out about travelling times use our timetable link: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

FYI – If you find connections on this timetable this means the destination you’re looking at is open and operating at the selected date.

I’m sure some forum member will have some personal experience to share as well.

Happy planning.

Best,
    Steph

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    6 March 2019 at 3:17:33 #905660

Hi Gabriele

All 3 options are very scenic. Mannlichen to KS is the most famous but the section from Bachalpsee to Waldspitz is my personal favorite. Besides being very scenic it is down hill and relatively easy. A 4th option you might consider is First to Bachalpsee to Faulhorn and return to Bachalpsee and descend to Waldspitz/Bort and return to Grindelwald by cable car. The only difficult part is the ascent right at Faulhorn. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2019 at 9:00:44 #905661

Thank you Steph and Mark.

Hope to hear from more expert/users

Gabriele

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2019 at 9:08:12 #905662

What part of the mountain: the First side or Kleine Scheidegg provide more spectacular views?

Thanks

Gabriele

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2019 at 10:13:42 #905663

Hi Gabriele,

Please prevent posting the exact same questions twice: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/winter-hiking-grindelwald (see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules). If you need to do so because the old thread is already closed, then please include a link to the previous thread so people can see the information provided already. Thanks!

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    7 March 2019 at 12:19:19 #905664

Hi Gabriele

Rating the views is somewhat subjective like asking which is better, chocolate or vanilla. Overall I would say they are similar but the KS side has close up views of Jungfrau and Eiger which are the more famous peaks in the area. I have included some photos so you can judge for yourself. the first 2 are from the First side and the last 2 from the KS side Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2019 at 12:43:11 #905665

Hi Mark!

Thank for the info. Lovely pics 😊.

Completely agree with you. It is very subjective. I ve never been in the area hiking so I would like to make the most of the only day I have available ( unfortunately). Thus I was asking for advices from expert of the area in order to pick “ the best hike” of the aforementioned.

Gabriele

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    8 March 2019 at 0:11:46 #905666

I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with any of the hikes mentioned. At least in difficulty i would rate the hike to Faulhorn the hardest and the hike to Waldspitz/Bort the easiest.All 3 have fantastic views. Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 March 2019 at 0:36:09 #905667

Hi Gabriele-

Short notice, so I don’t have time to dig into the details.

March is the issue,it is still Winter, as you have noted, and the other posters may not have noticed that.

Some of those trails are groomed in the winter for hiking.

If they are not, they are not passable, unless you use snowshoes or skis. Meters of snow depth are not unknown on those trails. And, if they are closed, there is another good reason…possible snowslides.

Ask the tourist office at Grindelwald, hey will have precise answers, and look at webcams:

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/grindelwald-2660498/

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    8 March 2019 at 2:16:41 #905668

Hi Slowpoke

The link provided by Steph above on winter hiking indicates all 3 hikes Gabriele mentions are maintained from the first of December until the end of March and should be available to hike. Well technically it says you can walk from First to Faulhorn and sled from Faulhorn to Bussalp. The trail from First to Bachalpsee to Waldspitz/Bort is open for hiking as is the trail from Mannlichen to KS. I did not see the trail from KS to Alpiglen mentioned. It would be a prime ski area so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was maintained as well for hiking and Gabrielle may have her own source on that section. Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 March 2019 at 3:05:25 #905669

Hi Mark –

Thanks for checking the details that I did not.

Would you do your favorite – Schynige Platte to First, in the Winter?

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    8 March 2019 at 12:12:50 #905670

Hi Slowpoke

Maybe! Hiking in the winter and on snow even if its packed down is definitely more difficult. I’ve never done it in Switzerland but it is a favorite of mine at home in the Smokies. No crowds and a special kind of beauty. I turn 66 in May and will be older and wiser…….well older anyway.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2019 at 16:59:22 #905671

Thank you Mark and slowpoke. Actually at Manchester airport ready to fly to switzerland. The weather forecast is uncertain. Finger crossed for tomorrow.

Thank you again no will give you the results.

Gabriele and Elena

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 March 2019 at 17:45:50 #905672

Good luck.

Hiking on order to sightsee becomes a bit boring f all you can see is the inside of clouds.

Don’t forget that the weather can change quickly and unexpectedly in the Alps. For the better or for the worse. Check in with the local tourist info bureau when you are there. They’ll have a clearer idea of the weather possibilities than the national services.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 8:04:47 #905673

Good morning everyone!

Sorry for slow update!

With not perfect weather condition, but good enough and trail opens, we decided to follow your advice and hike First – Faulhorn – Bussalp – Grindelwald.

Superb and challenging hike.

Strenuous until Faulhorn due to steep ascent and deep snow. However very rewarding.

Thank you for the advices. Very much appreciated.

Gabriele

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 March 2019 at 9:14:46 #905674

Hi Gabrielle –

Good for you.

I’m impressed.

Did you meet any other hikers on the trail?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 10:29:00 #905675

Thank you Slowpoke!

Only one. Experienced guy from Bern. Impressively, he was running the last stretch up Faulhorn.

Besides, We spotted few sledging on the way to Bussalp.

G

• The thread ‘Challenging winter hiking in Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.