Winter how to book Glacier Express Zurich-Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2017 at 6:43:44 #812486

Using a Swiss Rail Pass how do I book from Zurich to Zermatt in the winter. Will the booking automatically take me to Chur to meet a connection on the Glacier Express?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 July 2017 at 9:09:44 #866143

Hi Austcochon,

Which rail pass will you use during that trip? The Swiss Travel Pass? You will not be offered a Glacier Express connection automatically as the quickest route does not involve the Glacier Express. But you can of course choose to do so, no problem.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2017 at 3:18:19 #866144

Hi Austcochon,

I made my Glacier Express reservations here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/glacier-express

You’ll need to make separate arrangements to get from Zurich to Chur.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need to buy tickets. If you have a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass and want to travel first class on the Glacier then you will need to buy a Class Upgrade which costs half the difference between the first and second class fares. Reservations and tickets are two separate things – it took me a while to grasp that concept when I was planning our recent trip.

You may be interested in some fellow Aussie’s recent experiences on the Glacier Express (going the opposite direction). See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-3

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 5:44:33 #866145

Thank you Arno, I will be using Swiss Travel pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 6:14:01 #866146

Thank you Rockoyster, we will be overnight in Zurich and want to travel to Zermatt on the 19th of December using Swiss Travel Pass. I understand the new timetable will be issued some time in October so will book then for the Glacier Express. Your links were very helpful and will certainly be used.

Regards

austcochon

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2017 at 6:32:44 #866147

Glacier timetable for your travel date is actually published here http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ en/travel-planning/timetables/ti metables/ (you may have to click winter timetable link down the page) or see attached.

You just have to get from Zurich to Chur for 11:26 departure. Shouldn’t be a problem. The IC trains only take 1 hour 15 mins.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 21:58:39 #866148

Rockoyster, again my thanks. There is no doubt, this site and it’s contributors are unique!

• The thread ‘Winter how to book Glacier Express Zurich-Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.