Golden Pass line from Zermatt to Geneva

• 4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 December 2017 at 1:58:11 #813854

Hi I am traveling from Zermatt to Geneva on August 2nd. I want to take the Golden Pass Line, what would be the best route?

Thank you,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 December 2017 at 4:57:57 #873117

Hello Susan,

The Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) doesn’t actually run between Geneva and Zermatt. It runs between Montreux and Lucerne (or vice versa).

From Zermatt you can take a train to Spiez to connect with the Golden Pass Line and follow the Spiez to Zweisimmen and Zweisimmen to Montreux legs of the route but it is definately not the most direct way to travel between Zermatt and Geneva. You can use the Swiss Railway timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to compare the time it will take going to Geneva via Visp and Montreux compared to via Spiez, Zweisimmen and Montreux.

4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 December 2017 at 16:07:03 #873118

I certainly agree with you rockoyster. I will take you suggestions and see what works best.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 1:02:46 #873119

The following maps, showing both routes, might assist.

While the distance on the map might not look all that different at a glance, the Golden Pass route goes through the mountains and takes around 6 hours. The standard route mostly goes along valley floors and takes about 3.5 hours.

Alpenrose

Swissophile
    Participant
    26 posts
    22 December 2017 at 8:58:56 #873120

Hello. I can understand why you would like to use the Golden Pass line as it is so well advertised and undeniably beautiful, but I should like to add that the route via Visp and Montreux is pretty good, too! You have wonderful views of the south -facing slopes and vineyards and the section along Lake Geneva is lovely. I hope you enjoy your journey whichever route you choose.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 December 2017 at 2:18:40 #873121

Hi Alpenrose

<<“The following maps, showing both routes, might assist.”>>

Nice maps. How did you generate them? Using the route maps in the timetable? Or, otherwise?

TIA,

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 6:04:28 #873122

>> Nice maps. How did you generate them? Using the route maps in the timetable?

Yes, within the SBB timetable.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Golden Pass line from Zermatt to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.