Zermatt to Lugano via Centovalli line

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2019 at 15:20:52 #823257

Hello, I have previously received some good advise about traveling from Zermatt to Lugano via Domodossola on the Centovalli line.

I have a question regarding the leg below because I do not know if “reservations” are required or just recommended? I have a Swiss Travel Pass , 2nd class. I could not find a site in english to make reservations and if I do not have reservations is it still OK to take this train? Thanks.

10:25

Domodossola (I)

TrainD 47Direction Locarno FART

Reservation possible

Limited number of seats

TRENO PANORAMICO VIGEZZO VISION

Reservierungen: siehe http://www.vigezzinacentovall i.com

Locarno FART

arr 12:19

Locarno FART, Platform 11-22

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2019 at 17:43:23 #919437

<<“I have a question regarding the leg below because I do not know if “reservations” are required or just recommended?”>>

The phrasing is clear, and is used on Swiss trains sometimes, as well. I’m guessing that reservations are a very good idea, although it has been many years since I rode the train. Nice ride. It is an Italian train, as far as I can tell, and they tend to want reservations.

If they let you pay with the STP, it is probably because of a special arrangement.

The site translates in to German, pretty much, and I can read and translate German. And, the Italian does not seem complicated.

It would make the process of exploration a good deal easier if you would provide your travel date.

You can try to cut and paste the titles in Google Translate, too.

However, if you would please give a date, it will make it much easier to explore the site.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 August 2019 at 18:10:38 #919438

Hi Tbone1311,

Your Swiss Travel Pass includes the entire trip, so no tickets required. Reservations are not required either, it’s optional, you will be able to board without a reservation. These trains do require a small surcharge, to be paid on board. Further details are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ce ntovalli.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2019 at 18:27:08 #919439

Thanks for assistance I was able to get a response from the line itself however purchasing tickets ahead of time probably won’t work because they se “snail” mail”.

I may try to get reservations the day of departure but they said are not necessary.

Though an Italian train I was told that this trip is covered by the Swiss travel pass, though I’m sure reservations would be extra.

FYI, I am leaving 16/8 at 8:13

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 August 2019 at 18:29:26 #919440

Reservations are always extra, but I wouldn’t bother in this case. If you want them you can try at any staffed station in Switzerland.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    5 August 2019 at 20:30:46 #919441

Are you planning that to be a “transit day” from one accommodation base to another?

If so, and you are carrying luggage, consider a longer transit time at Domodossola. The connections are guaranteed; it’s Switzerland after all, but … In 2015, when my partner and I rode the FART line, it was something of a rush between trains at Domodossola because it is a little distance between the platforms and there were lots of people around. We were carrying our luggage.

I’m not sure how it works (others are better experienced to advise!) but a paid luggage transfer service from Zermatt to Lugano may be an option.

Whatever, it will be a most scenic and enjoyable trip from Zermatt to Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2019 at 20:36:14 #919442

Thank you for suggestion I will check to see if there might be a secondary train we can catch from Domodossola to Locarno that may allow more time between.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2019 at 21:24:57 #919443

Gunzel, great suggestion if we miss our train there is another one an hour later.

Can you possibly give me any tips on how to get from the one station to the other for the FART line, that might help thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 August 2019 at 21:41:28 #919444

Hi Tbone,

You will find some coverage regarding the Centovalli connection at Domodossola in this trip report.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Lugano via Centovalli line’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.