Zermatt to Paris – where to stop on the way?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 0:48:59 #814069

Hi!

I will be traveling with my family to Switzerland/France for March 26-April 9. We are flying into Geneva, and taking the train to Zermatt for a 6 night ski trip. We were then thinking of taking the train back to Geneva, but before we headed to Paris, are trying to figure out if there is a one or 2 night stop we can make on the way? My husband really wants to visit Chamonix, but the travel to get there seems a bit out of the way. Are there any other stops that might make sense on our route?

Also – i know there is a high speed train from Geneva to Paris but wondering if renting a car could also make sense so we can sort of wander on the way to paris.

Please let me know your thoughts – thanks so much!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 January 2018 at 3:39:18 #874525

Hi krissylub and Welcome to MySwissAlps

I guess it depends what you want to see and doo on your stopover.

Montreux might be nice. There is a route back to Paris from nearby Lausanne.

Chamonix-Mont-Blanc is a 4 hour train ride from Zermatt with a few changes along the way (see attached map). Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to check it out.

Or you could head up to Wengen in the Jungfrau Region and then on to Basel to catch the TGV to Paris from there.

I can’t say if renting a car would make sense to you. It wouldn’t to me but then I am a train nut.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    18 January 2018 at 14:18:28 #874526

We took the TGV from Paris to Basel in late November. From Basel we took a local train to Visp and then another to Zermatt. We love to ride on trains and the TGV was one of the best. The service was exceptional. It’s so much fun to sit back, relax and not worry about anything. We decided to take the Paris to Basel to Zermatt route since there were more trains scheduled and less train changes. There were 4 of us with large snowboard bags so we felt it was essential to find the most efficient route. I would see what other towns interest you and then check out the train changes, etc.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Paris – where to stop on the way?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.