zurich and interlaken – first time visit. need adv

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2015 at 11:07:40 #807188

HiIm traveling with my family and reaching Zurich on the 7th June. From there we travel to Interlaken on 10 for another 3 nights. We have all bookings done for flights and hotels. But our itinerary for visiting the best tourist spots is still not done. Can you help me with:
    1. the best places to see around in these 6 days? I know we have to definitely go to Mt. Titlis and Jungfrau.
    Apart from these two paces, what all do you suggest? I’m open to suggestions.
    2. Which travel pass will best suit us? We are a group of 4, with ages of 5 yrs, 30, 36 and 60 years.We fly to Paris after this. A quick reply would be highly appreciated. As i need to make all bookings/buy rail passes well in advance.
    Thanks
    Ankur

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 May 2015 at 12:28:50 #842910

Hi Ankur,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Let look into your questions:

1. Our suggestions are listed here:

Which activities are best really depends on your personal interests. The ones we have listed are all worth it. For example, the Swiss Museum of Transport is highly recommended, also for the 5 year old, but if you prefer to focus on natural sights I understand that you might skip it.

2. My preference would be 8-day Swiss Travel Passes, as they provide you a lot of flexibility: no tickets needed for trains, boat trips, buses, urban transport. Most cable cars and other mountain transport is 50% discounted, although Mount Rigi, Wengen and Mürren can be reached for free. Most museums are free too; the one I just mentioned is 50% discounted. The child travels for free everywhere. Since you live in India you can best buy the passes through raileurope.co.in/pass/ swiss-pass, and get an additional discount via raileurope.co.in/deals /article/exclusive-discount-off. See here for other purchase options.

I deleted your other thread. Please don’t post duplicates, as requested in the forum rules.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2015 at 13:35:10 #842911

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.A couple of things are now pretty clear to me. If you could also tell me :

1. Where should I travel to Mt. Titlis from, from Zurich or Interlaken ? (I mean Mt. Titlis is closer to reach from Zurich or from Interlaken).

2. Where should I travel to Jungfrau from, from Zurich or Interlaken ? (I mean Jungfrau is closer to reach from Zurich or from Interlaken).
    And should I reserve one full day each for both the places?

3. We definitely don’t wanna visit any museums. Outdoor tourist spots/natural beauties is what we are looking forward to?

My bad for posting the question twice…apologies. Looking forward.

Ankur

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 May 2015 at 14:02:44 #842912

Hi Ankur,

You can find traveling times in the timetable.

1. Mount Titlis closer to Zurich.
    2. Jungfraujoch is much closer to Interlaken. It’s too far from Zurich to comfortably do it as a day trip.

If you have time left, you can combine Mount Titlis with a visit to Lucerne as you are passing through anyway. Jungfraujoch is a full day trip if you take your time, or half a day in case of an early departure and a quick visit.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2015 at 16:01:57 #842913

You may find it worthwhile to spend significant time in Lucerne. It is a very nice city for sightseeing.

My 8 year old granddaughter was fascinated by the Lion of Lucerne, and enjoyed the Bourbaki Panorama.

Depending on your available time, a ride on the lake boats is enjoyable, and might be appreciated by the 5 year old, too. The boat schedules are in the timetable that was referred to by Arno.

There are several different boat routes., and they can be confusing, so i would have map in front of me as I study them, if you are considering that option. They intersect rail and bus routes at various points.

map.classic.search.ch

That map can show timetable connections if you open “Railway” under the traffic menu and mouse over the station symbol at a town

Some routes stay in the northern part of the lake, others start at the southern end (Flüelen) and go all the way to Lucerne. I like that one, although it takes about 4 hours and is longer than the others. I take the train from Lucerne to Flüelen, walk a few feet and catch the boat. Food on board. Rail Pass covers the boat fares.

• The thread ‘zurich and interlaken – first time visit. need adv’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.