Zurich card vs ZVV day pass vs ZVV 9 O’Clock ?

• Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    13 May 2019 at 1:45:44 #821605

Hello, we’ll stay in Zurich for 3 nights & our hotel’s address is Splügenstrasse 2 , CH-8002 Zürich- in which zone is the hotel located? We’ll arrive to Zurich AP & ll use a city transport for 3 days (Day 1-Zurich/Days 2&3 only to get from the hotel to the train station & back). As we compared those choices, the price for 3 days for 2ppl is 1) Z card ll cost 106 F 2) ZVV 9 O’Clock 140F 3)ZVV day pass 47.60 (for zone 1-2). Does zone 1-2 ZVV cover cogwheel Dolderbahn& Lake cruises? How we can add trip from Zurich AP to Zurich on ZVV PASS or Z card( should we additionally buy 1 hour ZVV for 3 zone )? Do we need to add zone ticket for travel from Zurich AP if we’ll buy 9 O’Clock? Can we buy all/any of those online? Thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2019 at 4:21:50 #912217

Hello Lana1231012,

Nice to hear you’re coming to Zurich.

You are comparing three quite different products here. I’ll try to explain.

First of all your hotel is in the city zone, so zone 110, transportation-wise.

The Zurich Card
    Is a card that includes transportation in the Zurich area, incl. lake Zurich PLUS reduced or free entry into museums. Find details below:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/travel

The ZVV day pass
    Is a ticket providing you ONLY with the transportation within the chosen zones (1-2 for the city of Zurich). For the Dolderbahn and cruises on the river boat (Limmatschiff), this ticket is valid, for boats on the lake of Zurich you would have to buy an additional ticket:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakezurich

The 9 o’clock pass
    Is a ticket that is only valid after 9am, as the name says. This ticket is valid on the whole network of the ZVV in the according area.
    http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/abos -und-tickets/tickets/9-uhr-tagespass-und-multikarte.html
    http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/fahr plan/zonenplan.html

Find a zone plan of the ZVV here:
    http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/abos -und-tickets/zonen.html

Hope this provides you with the input needed.

Should you opt for a 1-2 zone day pass you can simply add a 1hour extra-zone ticket for your journey from the AP to the city.

Best,
    Steph

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    13 May 2019 at 11:28:23 #912218

Thank you so much for such fast & detail response. As I understood, we don’t need to buy additional ticket for ZVV 9 O’Clock from AP to SBB, correct?

You responded: “Should you opt for a 1-2 zone day pass you can simply add a 1hour extra-zone ticket for your journey from the AP to the city”.- so for ZVV DAY PASS we need to buy additional ticket from AP to SBB for 3 zone 1 hour 6.80F per person? If yes, can we do it online in advance & how (if need it)to validate it ( just stamped before we’ll use it at the airport?

also, if we’ll buy ZVV DAY PASS for 6 days, can we use it during the period of 3 consecutive days for 2 ppl, validating it twice per day at the same time? If yes, how & where should we do it in order that both validations ll be seen? Can we use the printing online version of ZVV day pass in this case, or it’s needs to be exchanged for other form?

sorry for so many questions & thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2019 at 9:56:21 #912219

Hi Lana1231012,

Don’t worry, we’re here to answer questions! 🙂

Correct, the 9 o’clock pass covers all the zones in the ZVV, including the airport zone!

For the second question you can, theoretically, buy a 1-2 day pass for the City of Zurich AT the airport PLUS the mentioned additional zone for one hour. This is do-able both at the machines and at the ticketing counters, no need to buy them in advance.
    You don’t need to validate the tickets once you hold them, just carry them on you.

There are also “multi-card” tickets available for purchase, see attached picture (couldn’t find one only for zone 11o, so ignore the price).
    These you need to validate at the ticketing machine before using the transportation and carry them on you.

I hope this makes things a little bit clearer.

Best,
    Steph

Also check:
    http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/trav elcards-and-tickets.html

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    14 May 2019 at 13:08:48 #912220

Hello & many thanks to your explanation ! This forum is a real lifesaver for travelers!

i compared a few travel options for 2 ppl for 3 days ( including one time travel from Zurich AP to Zurich on day 1) at Zurich & it looks like that:

1) ZVV Z DAY PASS

a) 66.40 F if we’ll get 1day pass zone 1-2 by 8.80 x3 days+ 1 hour zone 3 by 6.80 F x2ppl= 66.40 F

b) 62.40 F if 1 day pass zone 1-2 by 8.80 x 2 days + 1 day pass for zone 3 by 13.60 F x 2 ppl = 62.40 F

c) 61.20 F if get 6 day passes zone 1-2 for 47.60 +( 1 hour zone 3 by 6.80 x 2 ppl =13.60) = 61.20

?? Can 2 people use it for 3 consecutive days, validating it twice per day at the same time? If yes, can we validate ( stamped ) at any bus/tram stop prior the morning use?

2) ZVV 9 O’Clock

140 F for 6 validation ( ?? can 2ppl use it for 3 days?)= 140 F

3) Zurich card

119.60 F get 72 hours card by 53 F x 2 ppl= 106 F + 1 hour zone 3 by 6.80 x 2 ppl = 13.60 F for the total of 119.60 F

please, answer the question re ZVV option C – it looks like the most convenient way to travel for us , since we’ll arrive in the morning to Z AP & explore Zurich on day 1; on days 2 & 3 we’ll use transportation only from the hotel to the train/bus station in the morning & back in the evening.

Best regards, Lana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2019 at 19:37:25 #912221

Hello Lana,

You’re welcome!

Yes, normally the 6-journey multi ticket is the cheapest option, it’s slightly cheaper than 6 times a day pass.

And YES, you can use it for two travellers at a time during three days, just be aware that you’ll have to travel together all the time, as you’ll only hold one physical ticket for both of you.

You stamp the card JUST BEFORE GETTING INTO THE TRANSPORTATION at the ticketing machine (for trams) or inside the vehicle (for busses), in order to not waste validity time.

I believe this is your best option, for sure, especially as you’ll mainly be in the city itself.

Best,
    Steph

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    14 May 2019 at 20:10:05 #912222

Hello again & thank you ( again)!

i was talking about multiple day ZVV pass ( for 6 days) & as I understood , it’s for the period of 24 hours each , so it can be used as much as need it during 24 h ( not once per day). Am I correct? I asked if that 6 days pass can be validated twice in the beginning of each day in order to use for 2 person.

You explain about 6 journeys ticket? For me it’s sounds like different tipe of ticket( pass). Did I misunderstand it?

can I buy it online & print it at home & use it during my travel, or I should exchange it to some other form in Zurich prior to use it?

Best, Lana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2019 at 21:03:30 #912223

Hi Lana,

Your understanding is absolutely correct! It can be used unlimited within the 24 hours of each validation for x journeys within the zones.

Sorry for confusing you.

Best,
    Steph

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    19 May 2019 at 11:21:51 #912224

Hello & thank you again!

How we can get to the Rhine Falls using 9 O’Clock ZVV day pass? As I read, only 1 out of 2 travel stations at the Rhine Falls covered by that pass. Which direction /train number/station should we travel from HB in order to “feet” into the 9 O’Clock?

Also, what kind of city transport in Luzern /Engelberg included in Saver Day Pass ( except trains /buses between Zurich & Luzern)?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 15:25:08 #912225

Hello Lana,

To find out about the route and connections to the Rhine Falls use the timetable below. You will need to look up “Neuhausen Rheinfall” and “Schloss Laufen Rheinfall” and crosscheck with the zone plans provided in my first answer to see what is covered. I think you might not cover the Rhinefalls with the 9 o’clock pass reasonably.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

For validity of the Saver Day Pass check the following link, incl. a very nice map. Lucerne provides city transportation, which you can see in the legend.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/validity

Best,
    Steph

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    20 May 2019 at 0:30:59 #912226

Hi Steph, does 9 o’clock cover stop at Schloss Laufen am rhinefalls? If yes, can we visit falls from there? If yes, what direction /train should we take?

its unclear, to which zone rhinefalls belongs

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2019 at 5:29:11 #912227

HI Lana,

It’s zone 116 and it’s included. The route via Winterthur is fully covered. Further details about how to get there can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls/gettingthere.

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    20 May 2019 at 11:17:20 #912228

Hello Arno & thank you very much for the clear answer!

also, we tried to book Flixbus from Zurich to Basel for August 3 , the website asked for payment information & after we completed credit cards( twice 2 different kind of cards!), it’s says that we need to use other option to purchase. Does it reliable source (shop.flixbus.com) or we did something wrong ( maybe it’s too early to buy tickets, etc.)?

Best regards, Lana

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2019 at 12:23:54 #912229

Hi Lana,

That looks like the right website. I usually go here: http://www.flixbus.co.uk/bus-timetable-stop/zurich. It’s not too early to buy I think, but I don’t know why it doesn’t work for you, sorry.

What I like about Flixbus is that they offer CO2 offsetting your trip (a must for modern travelers I believe), and the option to travel overnight on longer routes. For Zurich to Basel I’d opt for the train though, which saves you half an hour. Price wise there should not be much of a difference, unless you don’t have much luggage as Flixbus charges extra for that. Supersaver tickets for the trains can cost even less than the base Flixbus price without extra luggage, if purchased 60 days in advance: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland. I’ve seen prices around CHF 10 for your route.

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    20 May 2019 at 12:56:57 #912230

Hello Arno! We tried to book tickets through the link that you use, but again it didn’t work. Credit cards were Amex & visa. I attached the picture of payment’s rejection

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2019 at 13:30:12 #912231

Hi Lana,

Thanks for the image. It might be some bigger issue; we just received another complaint regarding a credit card payment with a totally different company which normally has no issues at all. Perhaps a payment provider that multiple companies use has a problem at the moment. I can only recommend to try again in a few hours or tomorrow, and otherwise contact Flixbus.

Lana1231012
    Participant
    37 posts
    20 May 2019 at 15:28:12 #912232

Thank you so much, Arno!

• The thread ‘Zurich card vs ZVV day pass vs ZVV 9 O’Clock ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.