Zurich, Rhine Falls and Lucerne in half a day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 2:16:42 #814546

Hi

I am planning to Reach Zurich by TGV from Paris by 14.26 ii May18

.I am thinking of travelling from Zu rich to Rhine fall same day afternoon and from Rhine fall to Luzern before late evening.

Is this travel workable ?

Will I be able to cover Rhine fall and travel to Luzern before 10 pm?

Is the train right option for above travel?

Regards

Kiran

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 2:19:57 #877388

Also would need guidance on locker room in Zurich.

As I will be carrying luggage ,are there any locker rooms at Zurich atation so that I can keep my luggage and travel to Rhine fall and then collect luggage in evening and the travel to Luzern.

Please guide

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 February 2018 at 5:44:11 #877389

Hello K0926 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Train is definitely the right option. You can read about how to get there at http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls/gettingthere. Check the other tabs on that page as well.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable. There are lockers at Zurich station.

What are your other plans while in Switzerland? It may be worthwhile considering some form of travel pass. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

The only thing I’m not sure of is how long access to the boat rides and other attractions remain open until.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 February 2018 at 7:03:00 #877390

Hello Kog26,

Are you travelling within Switzerland with one of the rail passes that are available ? First, there are luggage storage lockers in the Zurich train station (Zürich HB) down one level (Mezzanine Level), so getting your luggage out of the way for your trip to the Rheinfall is simple.

Getting to Lucerne from Zurich is not a problem. The average time for this trip is less than 50 minutes and there are an average of 40 trains making this trip each day. So this should not be a concern for you. Since you want to be in Lucerne before 10 PM you should be back in the Zurich HB before 9 PM.

So the real question is the following: Can one arrive at the Zurich train station at about 2:26 PM, get one’s luggage into the locker(s), catch a train to Neuhausen Rheinfall, see the Rheinfall, and then catch another train from Neuhausen Rheinfall back to Zurich, retrieve one’s stored luggage, and get back up to the platform to board a train to Lucerne by about 9:00 PM ? From everything I have been able to find, the train trip from Zurich to Neuhausen Rheinfall takes between 50 minutes and an hour, each way. So by my calculations, that leaves you a maximum of four hours to walk around in Neuhausen and see the Rheinfall. I would say that four hours is more than enough and my guess is that you would be heading back to Zurich before this and so making it on to Lucerne should be easy. I would suggest that you take careful note of when the trains leave Neuhausen Rheinfall for Zurich so that you won’t waste time.

You may enjoy the following video about the Rheinfall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJvzAO-7Ik To really appreciate the sheer power of these falls, take the boat ride out to the rock and climb the stairs to the top. It is not the tallest waterfall but has the greatest flow of any in Switzerland. Its average flow is about 750 cubic metres per second. By way of comparison, if you are American and have been to the Niagara Falls, the average flow over the smaller American Falls is about 240 cubic metres per second

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 February 2018 at 7:29:02 #877391

Hej Rockoyster,

Once again, I have taken so long to put together a message that I didn’t even see that you had responded to our traveler. When I started all that was there were his two queries. In nay case, I see nothing that is conflicting in what we have said, and it is good that you have got him thinking about some sort of train pass if he hasn’t already made that decision. It is also good that you mentioned that there can be a wait to get on one of the boat rides. When I was there a few years ago, earlier in the day, it looked like the wait time was about twenty minutes. Some tourists do not get off the boat to go up to the lookout on the rock in the middle of the falls. Just for fun, I attach an aerial image (c/o SwissTopo) of the area for Kiran.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 7:59:31 #877392

Thanks a lot Rocky star and Peteril for your detailed reply. I got a good idea and things to watch out .

I have planned my other 4 days visiting Jungfrau ,Mount Titlis ,Bern and Luzern.Hence planning to buy Swiss travel pass for those 4 days.

I have half day available on arrival day in Zurich hence thought of visit to Rhine fall. Now looking at the Travel time and money involved I am re thinking should I travel to Rhine fall or spend my half day visiting Zurich city? As my this particular half day is not covered under Swiss pass ,I will have to spend on full fare train ticket.

Zurich city was not considered in my earlier plan .Now if I have to choose between half day Rhine fall OR Zurich city sight seeing ? What would you recommend ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 February 2018 at 8:48:39 #877393

If you decide to skip Rhine Falls I’d just go straight to Lucerne. It’s a lovely city.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 February 2018 at 16:25:28 #877394

Hello Kiran,

You said << Now if I have to choose between half day Rhine fall OR Zurich city sight seeing ? What would you recommend ?>>. The Rheinfall is a one-of-a-kind experience which you will always remember. Zurich is a big city and it’s fine to explore if time is not a concern. However, if for some reason you decide not to go see the Rheinfall, and you haven’t left time in Lucerne in your plans, I would suggest you follow Rockoyster’s suggestion and get yourself on a train and get yourself over to Lucerne. It is in a more beautiful location and definitely more touristy. In other words, if I had to choose between Zurich OR Lucerne, I would choose Lucerne without hesitation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 16:38:17 #877395

Yes….It looks going to lucern directly and spending evening there is less tiring and better option. Also will save few Euros ☺️

Thanks for your views and information .

Regards

Kiran

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 February 2018 at 17:27:27 #877396

I am sure you will enjoy Lucerne. Just don’t be too hesitant to spend your Euros. You probably know this already, but Switzerland is not inexpensive ! Attached is today’s exchange rate for EUR to CHF.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 17:35:06 #877397

I know ,it is worth spending money in Switzerland.

Thanks a lot !!

• The thread ‘Zurich, Rhine Falls and Lucerne in half a day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.