Zurich to St. Moritz via rail questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2018 at 17:57:17 #813937

Hi everyone!

Second post here, my earlier thread got closed I’m guessing due to inactivity.

My previous post was: What is the most scenic route to get to St. Moritz from Zurich?

My new post is: What is the better/more scenic expedited rail route to St. Moritz from Zurich?

We have decided that a 6 hour train ride after a long flight is too much and we want to get up to St. Moritz as soon as possible. On the SBB site the only two options I see are:

1. Direction Geneve Airport (stopping in Zurich HB and Chur)

2. Direction Luzern (stopping in Zurich HB and Landquart)

Are these recommended routes, will this give us some scenery on the trip? Are there other routes I am not seeing?

Lastly, we will be shipping luggage ahead as we will have a lot between ski clothes and all of the wifes clothes! I was guessing we will need Express Door-toDoor Flight service?

I have got so many great tips already and you’ve all been a great help!

Thanks in advance

The Megallys

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 January 2018 at 21:45:00 #873585

Both routes are scenic. Route 1 is 20 minutes slower but will take you via Filisur and follows the classic Glacier Express/Bernina Express route between Chur and St Moritz.

Go one way and come back the other perhaps.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 January 2018 at 23:05:07 #873586

Hi Megally-

<<“1. Direction Geneve Airport (stopping in Zurich HB and Chur)

2. Direction Luzern (stopping in Zurich HB and Landquart)”>>

That merely indiates the final destination of the train that you board at the airport, in order to give a sense of direction. That does not mean that you will go through Luzern, but, more likely, you will simply ride a train that goes to Luzern, but you get off at Zürich HBf and change to a train that goes to Chur…and onward.

The SBB time table defaults to the fastest route(s). If you want to force it a particular route, use the “via” boxes in the Advanced timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

To understand them, use this map and zoom in as I have chosen to see the rail lines. Zoom out for the big picture;-)

map.search.ch/?pos=787784,155128&z=32

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 January 2018 at 2:10:38 #873587

Good point Slowpoke. See attached Megally.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 6:32:45 #873588

I’m of the point that all routes in Switzerland are scenic unless you are going through the Gotthard Tunnel!
    I agree with Rockoyster – go up one way and back the other so you see a little more of Switzerland. 🙂

As for luggage, you can use the express service certainly for your ski gear etc. Read more about your luggage options here.

• The thread ‘Zurich to St. Moritz via rail questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.