Excursion to Aareschlucht in Meiringen

• TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    9 November 2021 at 15:34:52 #826260

Hello MySwissAlps Members

We are interested in visiting Aareschlucht near Meiringen.

We will stay in Wilderswil and go by train from Interlaken Ost to Aareschlucht with transfer in Meiringen.

1. Is the entry ticket @ CHF 10 (Adult fee) included in the STP or is there a discount fee?

2. I see that there is a West and an East Entrance. Which of the three options is best to enjoy the gorge at its utmost:

2.1 West to East (and then take the train back from the East station to Interlaken Ost)

2.2 East to West (go by train to East station and then the train back to Interlaken Ost from the West station)

2.3 West to East and reverse walk from East to West (take return train from Interlaken Ost to West station)

3. How long does it take to sightsee the 1km long gorge + enough time to take photos and enjoy the scenery? (We have an afternoon available from 13h00/14h00 until 18h30 – closing time of the Gorge).

4. Is the whole lenght of the gorge accessible with a wooden boardwalk?

5. We are going to visit Trümmelbachfalle as well on another day excursion. Is the Aare Gorge a visit worthwhile?

Any extra advise and help will be appreciated.

Regards

TravelElla

• Anna
    6417 posts
    9 November 2021 at 18:49:01 #937404

Hi TravelElla,

1. No, the admission ticket to Aareschlucht is not included in the Swiss Travel Pass.

2. If you prefer a shorter walk, simply walk from the West entrance to the East entrance. You can also do it in reverse, I don’t think there is much difference if you pick one entrance over the other because you’ll be walking through the gorge along the same route. Both entrances to the gorge are less than 500m from the nearest train station. There is a large restaurant at the West entrance with a nice big playground next to it, so if you are travelling with kids or want to have a coffee break after your walk, this might be useful for your trip. You can use the timetable to plan your journey.

3 & 4. The whole length of the gorge is about 1.4km. Some part of the route is wheelchair and stroller-friendly (mostly the west entrance half). The rest is mainly a secured walkway. I suggest allocating at least 1 hour to explore the gorge, and maybe more if you plan to take a lot of pictures.

5. I personally think the Aareschlucht is worth visiting. Many visitors usually combine a trip to the Aareschlucht with a trip to the Reichenbach Falls also near Meiringen. In fact you can get a combi ticket to visit both (cost CHF18 adults/ CHF13 kids).

Hope this was useful.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2021 at 0:28:44 #937405

The Aareschlucht (horizontal gorge) is a different type of geographical feature to the Trummelbachfalle (vertical waterfall), and is definitely worth a visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2021 at 9:38:41 #937406

Hi TravelElla,

you find the list of the free or discounted museums (with the Swiss Travel Pass) at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details.

Yes, the Aarre gorge is worths the visit. We visited from the East to West then took the train back and I think it was great like that. Both both ways will be interesting and beautiful. Reichenbach Falls are also great. You can hike above the Falls until you arrive at a restaurant and from there you can come back down with scooters if you like this kind of thing. As far as I remember it was a short hike in the forest – less than 1 hour, but usually going up.

Have a great trip!

Ildiko

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    10 November 2021 at 11:35:38 #937407

Hello Anna

Thank you for sure for the useful info 🙂

Regards

TravelElla

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    10 November 2021 at 11:40:56 #937408

Hello Ildiko

Thanks for your input regarding this excursion to Aareschlucht 🙂

Due to the fact that we only have an afternoon for this excursion, I think it will be too rushed to visit Reichenbach Falls as well during the same afternoon due to extra transport etc to get there.

Rather only do Aareschlucht and enjoy the scenery.

Regards

TravelElla

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    10 November 2021 at 11:43:09 #937409

Hello 1960man

Thanks for the explanation of the difference between Aareschlucht and Trümmelbachfalle – this makes 100% geological sense.

Looking forward to visit both 🙂

Regards

TravelElla

• The thread ‘Excursion to Aareschlucht in Meiringen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11220 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.