Cheap food recommendations in Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2017 at 14:26:24 #813460

hi

i will be travelling to lucerne from 23- 25 october…the food there seems to abit pricey…..where can i get so affordable food…. plus i would like try some cheese fondue, any recommendations?

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2017 at 15:27:34 #870712

Hi Vignesh,

Your best bet for cheaper food is to shop at Migros or Coop grocery stores. They have salads, sandwiches and some hot foods as well. Manor department stores also offer excellent value in their cafeteria style restaurants.

I don’t have any specific restaurants for fondue in Luzern – perhaps check with your hotel (it won’t be hard to find) 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 October 2017 at 20:27:21 #870713

Hi Vignesh –

<<“the food there seems to abit pricey.”>>

Not just in Luzern…;-(.

However, major tourist destinations tend to have more expensive everything…not just food.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 October 2017 at 0:54:40 #870714

Hi, just to follow up on Lucas, in larger centres, you may even find Migros and Coop buffet restaurants which are very reasonable. I haven’t been in Lucerne for ages but I was in Neuchâtel last week and plenty of such places are around. You won’t find a cheese fondue at one of them, so after you have saved on your other meals, you can go out and splurge at a place recommended by your hotel people.

I just checked and there is a Coop restaurant in the Lucerne train station (Bahnhof) and open until 10 PM. Also keep in mind that the Migros and Coop grocery stores are closed on Sundays, like most other stores.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 October 2017 at 7:15:01 #870715

Hi Peterl –

<<” Also keep in mind that the Migros and Coop grocery stores are closed on Sundays, like most other stores.”>>

The exception to the closed on Sunday rules is, to varying degrees, stores catering to travelers needs in main train stations.

The best example (and the first one) is Shopville in Zürich Hauptbahnhof. ( main station). Wide open.

Other stations have tried to follow that example with varying success, because Sunday closings are a strong tradition and mandated by law in Switzerland generally. I am not sure to what degree the station in Luzern has succeeded in allowing stores to be open, but free standing restaurants and the pharmacy (die Apotheke) are open.

Checking the SBB website, I find:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html

<<“The shopping centre at Lucerne station is open 365 days a year from early morning to late evening, offering a wide range of services and shops in a central location. Here you will find a pharmacy, takeaway outlets and various shops and services”>>

And, if Vignesh decides to splurge at a good restaurant, some are closed on Sundays and many are closed on Mondays.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 12:16:17 #870716

thank you some much guys. really appreciate it.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    11 October 2017 at 3:24:01 #870717

The cafeteria in the Manor store in Luzern (level 5) is incredible. Great variety of food options, from full hot meals (we went twice, they advertised a duck special..it is cooked for you, as is the steak, you pick your vegetables and salads) …to baguettes, pasta, pastries…not only is it great value, it is central, has a lovely rooftop eating area should you have nice weather, and it is open all day, so no ‘restaurant hours’ restrictions ( we needed food after 2 pm and not much caters for the unprepared tourist 😀)

And, yes, the food in train stations is excellent, we often bought baguettes and pastries for our lunch. No soggy bread or plastic cheese…quality rolls, and fillings, and good value. Or we made a picnic from Coop items ( bread, cheese, berries, apple).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 October 2017 at 8:40:34 #870718

Hi Adelaidean –

Thanks for that recommendation. I had have not yet tried the restaurant in the Manor department store in Luzern, so I looked it up with a Google search. I found lots of positive reviews for their “Manora” restaurant.

Looks like a really good option.

I frequently eat at the Rathaus Braürei beside the river. It is on the quai across the river from the Jesuit Church and under the old town hall. By the way, das Rathaus is the German word for the town hall, from “der Rat” which means “the council” or “the advice.”

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /en/

It has really nice views and outdoor seating in good weather, and nice atmosphere inside. It has a few inexpensive items on its menu, although generally it is not a “cheap food” kind of place. Here is an example:

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /de/wochenmenu/

That is your German lesson for “Weekly Menu.”

Here it is in English:

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /en/weekly-menu/

It is the custom in Switzerland for most restaurants to offer each day a “menu” (plat du jour) that is inexpensive by Swiss standards. So, be careful to ask for the card (die Karte) in the German-speaking regions, if you want the list of food. If you ask for the “menu” you might get the daily special meal. 😉

Slowpoke

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    11 October 2017 at 21:32:46 #870719

You’re welcome, slowpoke.

It was an accidental discovery, having wandered through the Manor store in Solothurn looking for something else, we discovered their cafeteria. So figured they all had them. Arriving in Luzern after 2 pm with a hungry / grumpy 60 year old …seriously it was like travelling with a toddler, Manora to the rescue!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 October 2017 at 21:37:21 #870720

<<“Arriving in Luzern after 2 pm with a hungry / grumpy 60 year old …seriously it was like travelling with a toddler, Manora to the rescue!”>>

I’ve been known to get grumpy when starving. 😉 That 2 PM is a nuisance,too.

However, the Rathaus Braürei is open all day, just in case you have such an emergency again.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Cheap food recommendations in Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.