Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    31 August 2021 at 14:20:33 #933187

Hi Billandsuz1,

Please see my 10:53 AM post and also the very first post which we update all the time: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. Currently I don’t see any issues for vaccinated travelers who apply the basic rules like social distancing.

Arno
    15478 posts
    31 August 2021 at 14:23:16 #933188

Hi Terry,

The weather forecast until Sunday looks great with very little rain. Any forecast beyond 3 days out will likely change several times and is anything but sure. Note that rain in the forecast can also mean 30 minutes of rain in the late afternoon. That happens more often than relentless rain all day actually.

Have fun!

Billandsuz1
    Participant
    22 posts
    31 August 2021 at 14:23:21 #933189

Thanks for the quick response! I guess we’re just getting a little nervous.

mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    31 August 2021 at 19:57:52 #933190

We are traveling to Switzerland second week of September. We are fully vaccinated so appears we will have no issue getting into Switzerland. We are taking the Bernina Express to Tirano, now I’m curious if we will be covered under the Swiss coronavirus protocols or Italy? On the Bernina Express website it lists currently you need to be vaccinated to enter Italy. I have emailed Bernina express and just hoping to hear something from them.

Anyone have any information on what the requirements might be? Currently Italy says tourists from the USA need a negative Covid test 72 hours prior, That will require us to be tested in Switzerland.

Annika
    7115 posts
    1 September 2021 at 15:55:57 #933191

Hi mikefrank!

There’s no need to worry in your case.

The current Italian rules state that travelers need to present proof of vaccination, proof of being cured or a recent negative test result. This goes for passengers of high-speed trains like Intercity trains and for long bus routes. It also applies to travelers entering Italy by plane. There can be checks at railway stations or in the train.

As for the Bernina Express: travelers that can’t match any of these rules, can get out in Campocologno (the last Swiss stop) instead of traveling to Tirano in Italy. But if you’re fully vaccinated and carry along proof of this, you won’t have any problems. The Bernina Express information about traveling into Italy can be found here under “Information coronavirus”: https://www.rhb.ch.

I hope this helps!

MegandChris
    Participant
    6 posts
    1 September 2021 at 17:25:25 #933192

Actually, Italy changed their rules just this week and MIkeFrank is correct, now travelers from the US do need to have a negative CoVid test before entry into Italy if they have been in the US less than 14 days ago. We are traveling from Switzerland to Italy on 9/15 and am wondering the same thing….

mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    1 September 2021 at 20:43:34 #933193

I did hear from the Bernina Express people today and they stated the following.

As you are vaccinated you just have to fill out the entry form for Italy. For your return to Switzerland, there is no need for any forms or documents.

You can find the entry form for Italy directly here:app.euplf.eu/#/

MegandChris
    Participant
    6 posts
    1 September 2021 at 21:47:12 #933194

I’m afraid you may not receiving the most up to date information. Things are changing daily. I am by no means any kind of expert, just another traveler trying to figure this all out.

Here is the link to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs which indicates the change in regulations which went into effect today:

http://www.esteri.it/mae/it/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html

I have no idea how/if this will be enforced on trains. It is supposed to apply to all entering Italy regardless of means of transportation. I know people flying to Italy beginning today are not allowed on the plane without out showing that they have a negative covid test.

Thanks for the link to the form!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2021 at 8:01:07 #933195

Hi MegandChris,

you are right, things are changing very fast. The best you can do is to contact Bernina Express directly with this question -as close to your departure time as you can. On their website you can also find some relevant information: http://www.rhb.ch/en.

This page has some relevant information too: http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-europe/corona-international-rail-travel.html (You can find this link also in the first post of this thread under #7).

Ildiko

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    3 September 2021 at 4:43:17 #933196

Hello,

I wanted to let you all know how it went for us traveling from the U.S. (Albuquerque, NM) to Zurich the last couple of days since we were among those worried about all the recent changes. We are vaccinated (we have the CDC card to show, not a EU covid. certificate or QR code). We were asked to show our passports and vaccination cards at the Albuquerque airport and asked if we had filled out the entry form. Then in Atlanta, at the gate (going to Amsterdam) we were asked for the passports and vaccination cards again. Others were showing proof of being tested recently. In Amsterdam we went through Immigration and only had to show our passports. Then in Zurich, there were no more checkpoints. It all worked smoothly and we are so glad we are here! Because it’s Switzerland, we expect everything else to be easier than at home right now!

Thanks for all the help over the last few weeks. If we experience anything else that would be helpful for other travelers to know, we’ll post it here.

Terry

Anna
    6351 posts
    3 September 2021 at 5:22:49 #933197

Hi Terry,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know things went fairly smooth for you. Have a great trip!

Regards,

Anna

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    3 September 2021 at 14:35:45 #933198

Lot’s going on and a frenzy of new regulations, etc. My wife and I, with Heavy Hearts, just canceled our trip to Switzerland. We had a schedule to travel on a River Cruise from Amsterdam to Basel beginning Sept. 19, followed by a couple of weeks traveling by train in Switzerland. We have been planning and scheduling this for a year now. I have been reading daily posts on Myswissalps.com which have been so informative and interesting. We are retired, both 70 and with some immunity compromise and we finally pulled the plug and agreed to go next year instead. We’re both adventurous, but what happens if something flairs up while we are there or if one of us gets sick? Yikes!!!

We are committed that this will be re-scheduled next year. We are probably going to pick the same time frame, September / October unless one of you can convince me otherwise. We have enjoyed all of the ongoing information from all and we look forward to continuing to read the posts going forward. We have vouchers for the cancelled cruise and airfare and we will probably be re-scheduling next year’s trip right away. Everyone enjoy your swiss vacations.

Joejax

Anna
    6351 posts
    3 September 2021 at 18:05:39 #933199

Hi Joejax,

I’m sorry to hear that you cancelled your trip but fully understand your reasoning.

Good to know you are already planning for a similar trip next year. Hopefully there won’t be any more cancellations.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2021 at 18:17:58 #933200

I hear ya, Joejax. We had our plans (8 months worth) and reservations in place for 4/2020. This was, of course, shot down.

Now we’re looking at 4/2022 with almost all reservations in place except airline tix but it’s not looking good. I think world governments are looking for a permanent pandemic.

If they stop the mask insanity by the end of next January, we’ll book the airline tix and go. We will not pay thousands of dollars to have to put on a mask every time we turn around, especially on a 10 hour flight. I’d probably be arrested when we got to Amsterdam. I will be 73 and my wife will be 65 so not a lot of time to get this done.

Good luck on your next attempt.

jvilla
    Participant
    1 post
    5 September 2021 at 18:29:05 #933201

Hello everyone,

I just want to give a recommendation to where you can get a PCR or Antigen/Rapid test for travel back to the US. You can get it from the Corona Center of University of Zurich. It only costs 15CHF for rapid test certificate and you can wait 20 minutes to get the result and certificate. They’re very organized and I highly recommend it. It’s located at Hirschengraben 84, 8001 Zurich.

Here’s a link to get an appointment: coronazentrum.uzh.ch/en/testing/

We’re back in the US and we had a great time in Zurich, Geneva and Lausanne.

-jorge

Yeldus
    Participant
    28 posts
    5 September 2021 at 21:01:02 #933202

Hello Jvilla,

Thank you very much: that is the information I was looking for. Covid test place in town and so reasonably priced! I am starting my trip tomorrow and will fly back from Zurich.

Yelda

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    6 September 2021 at 12:30:31 #933203

Hi, we are trying to rearrange our trip to Switzerland after we had to cancel our trip last year. Can someone clarify if we are able to enter Switzerland without quarantine or having to take a Covid test.

We are UK citizens living permanently in Thailand. We have had two vaccinations of AstraZeneca but they were made in Thailand (lot number A1001). In your 31 August update I note that AZD1222 is accepted. Does this mean A1001 is not?

You state that “Children up to 15: no requirements” is this the same logic as the STP, that it allows entry up to one day before the 16th birthday? Many thanks for any help.

Annika
    7115 posts
    6 September 2021 at 12:56:52 #933204

I’m sorry to hear about your cancellation, Joejax. I understand things were too uncertain for you to proceed with your plans. Good to know you have vouchers for a new trip.

As for the time frame: yes, September-October is a great time I think. I personally love late April-early May as well. This too is low season. You’ll carefully have to check mountain transportation timetables: some start running by late April, others by early May and some even later. But nature is usually fresh and beautiful, with more snow on the mountain tops than in summer. Of course this is just a personal preference and there are no guarantees weather-wise. Here’s some more info: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit.

Just keep in touch with us: you’re welcome to ask any question about your re-scheduled trip. I hope you’ll soon have the chance to visit Switzerland.

Annika
    7115 posts
    6 September 2021 at 12:59:40 #933205

Hi jorge!

Thank you for getting back to us and sharing your useful information. I’m happy to hear you had such a good time in the Swiss cities. If you like, you can write a trip report here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports.

For other readers: links to test locations in Switzerland can be found in the 1st post of this thread and at http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus/planning.

Anna
    6351 posts
    6 September 2021 at 14:45:50 #933206

Hi Sweyne,

In general if you are fully vaccinated you will have no issue travelling to Switzerland. However I’m not aware of the different AstraZeneca vaccines and if they are recognised equally here. Perhaps the best thing to do is to contact the Swiss embassy in Bangkok and ask for clarification.

As for your next question: children up to 15 – yes, right up to the day before the child turns 16.

Regards,

Anna

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.