Trouble purchasing Swiss Travel Pass via SBB site

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2019 at 16:50:33 #822355

Hello,

We leave for Switzerland on Saturday and I want to purchase two 15 day Swiss Travel Passes, which I have made several attempts to do. I have an SBB account. However, when attempting to buy these passes it goes to a SwissPass log in. It appears that account is now linked to my SBB account. The problem is being able to purchase these tickets. When putting in my pass dates, type of passes it gives me the option to go to the Ticket Shop or SwissPass login. When choosing SwissPass login, it directs me to the Ticket Shop login. I set up an account for that and when trying to log in it will not accept my password. I requested a new password to be sent to me, which upon entering that correctly several times, it says it’s incorrect. I have messaged both The Ticket Shop and SBB. I wanted to purchase our STP through the SBB site, so I could link the pass to my SBB account. Can I purchase on another reputable rail pass site and still link to my SSB account. Thanks in advance.

• Arno
    15486 posts
    19 June 2019 at 18:34:22 #915585

Hi One4Islands,

Please purchase through one of the links listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. If you prefer to purchase through SBB, then go to their tourist web shop at https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/#/e n/home, which is listed there as well. You only need their domestic website for train schedules (instructions are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). You do not need an SBB account, nor do you need a SwissPass (that’s a product primarily for residents): http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/swisspass.

KSinCA
    Participant
    7 posts
    22 June 2019 at 3:17:08 #915586

Hi One4Islands, I had a similar experience today on the SBB website trying to purchase a point-to-point ticket. I registered for the Ticket Shop and when trying to log in it would not accept my password. Requested password reset and got the same error message (with several log-in attempts). I also have messaged the Ticket Shop about this. The website would also not accept my Visa card (error message:Payment Failed). I contacted my card company and they indicated that the card had not been blocked by them. Frustrating experience trying to make this ticket purchase from the SBB website.

Arno
    15486 posts
    22 June 2019 at 6:56:31 #915587

Hi KSinCA,

This is probably caused by credit card security measures your card doesn’t support yet. Note that SBB is one of the train companies in Switzerland; the biggest but not the only one. Apart from that, tickets can be purchased from many other retailers too: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price. You will most likely not experience payment problems there.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 10:40:39 #915588

KSinCA, the Ticket Shop’s reply to me was that I could buy tickets as a guest and not need to be logged in to an account. It certainly didn’t help resolve the issue of the SBB mobile app account I had set up now linked to SwissPass no longer accepts my chosen password which has worked in the past. I’m beyond frustrated as I leave in 6 hours for our trip and was counting on using my mobile SBB app to purchase the Swiss Pass and all other transportation tickets we may need. I can get the STP upon arrival at Geneva.

Arno, I tried several of the kinks recommended for purchasing the STP. RailEurope would not allow me to purchase the 15 consecutive day pass. It offered the 15 day one money at a “substantial savings”. An E-ticket was also non-refundable. Another ticket vendor said it would take up to 2 business days for E-ticket. I just decided to avoid the headache and purchase upon arrival.

I do appreciate all of the advice!

Arno
    15486 posts
    22 June 2019 at 14:24:33 #915589

Hi One4islands,

I think you’re mixing up a few things. SBB is primarily designed for Swiss residents. As explained in my above post, you do not need an account and you don’t need a SwissPass either. All of that is mainly for residents. You need a Swiss Travel Pass, and it can be e-mailed to you within 5 minutes if you purchase from https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/#/e n/home. Alternatively you can buy from a staffed train station during opening hours. The SBB app is fine for train schedules but you can’t buy a Swiss Travel Pass via the app. There is no relationship between the pass and the app.

Have a good trip and enjoy Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 23:11:09 #915590

This probably doesn’t solve anything for you… but just so you don’t feel alone. I purchased train tickets from the SBB website. It transferred me to the Ticket Shop. I don’t remember this part exactly, but I think I already had an SBB user name and password and still had to create a Ticket Shop user name and password. In any case, when I tried to pay using a PenFed AMEX card, it failed. So I used a different card (Visa) instead and it went through fine.

I had multiple issues with PenFed flagging my AMEX while traveling in Spain last month, so I assumed they were put a hold in it due to SBB/Ticket Shop being a foreign website. But when I called PenFed, they said my card was fine (they didn’t flag it) and they don’t even see an attempt to use the card from SBB or anyone else that day or for the last week. Normally they would see the denial on their end (which I know is true from dealing with them in Spain). So maybe the SBB payment system is quirky and/or just plays nice with certain cards.

In the past, I have purchased from RailEurope.com (they are US based, I think) and had no issues. They also seem to have good prices on the swiss travel pass right now and they have a promotion (if you are spending a lot of money).

Good luck…

KSinCA
    Participant
    7 posts
    28 June 2019 at 3:04:45 #915591

After my card was rejected while trying to purchase a train ticket on the SwitzerlandTravelCentr e.com Ticket Shop, I did a web search about the issue. I found a number of posts on travel community forums where people were reporting similar problems. No one had a definitive answer as to the cause and the situation was not limited to Swiss Rail ticket purchases; several other rail carriers were mentioned. After my card was rejected, I contacted Customer Service at Swiss Rail. Their reply indicated that my card probably did not have “3 D Secure” technology activated. This technology is to protect against fraud for purchases were the card is not present (ex. on-line purchases). 3D Secure is also known as Secure Code (on Mastercards) and Verified by VISA (on VISA cards). I contacted my card issuer (a large bank in the US) and they told me that they don’t use this particular security/anti-fraud method. After several calls and emails with my credit card issuer and VISA, it seems that this technology is available only if the card issuer chooses to make it available to its customers and it may not always be obvious on the card issuer’s website if they are offering this type of security. The take home message to me is: if your card is rejected while trying to make a purchase of Swiss Rail product, try a different card if you have one.

I followed Arno’s suggestion about trying to purchase the ticket from one of the rail ticket resellers in the links he provided me. Unfortunately I found that the resellers did not offer the ticket itinerary I needed, or didn’t have either the departure or the arrival station I needed. Rail Europe replied to my email about this issue and said that as resellers of tickets, they sell only the fares and schedules that have been uploaded onto their site by the railway company(ies). So not every rail itinerary is available on the reseller websites.

So, just providing this information to other travelers who may encounter one or more of these or similar issues. I found that SBB and the resellers were very prompt to reply to my questions, so it’s worth reaching out to them if there are problems with on-line transactions.

And thanks to the moderators and experts on this forum – your knowledge (and patience) is much appreciated!

Arno
    15486 posts
    28 June 2019 at 6:32:35 #915592

Hi KSinCA,

Thanks for sharing that with us. Indeed it’s the missing 3D secure feature that seems to be the problem in many cases, I couldn’t remember the term.

As for point to point tickets, not passes, please find purchase options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price. The website https://www.happyrail. com/en in particular offers almost all tickets/destinations within Switzerland. Including Supersaver tickets and Saver Day Passes (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass).

• The thread ‘Trouble purchasing Swiss Travel Pass via SBB site’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11290 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.