Hiking from Rigi Kulm to Mineralbad Rigi Kaltbad

• elletremb
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 May 2022 at 20:49:32 #827096

Hello!

I’m travelling to Lucerne in 2 weeks and plan to visit Mount Rigi. I believe I understand the process of getting from Lucerne to Mt Rigi (take boat from Lucerne to Vitznau then take cable car from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm – feel free to correct me if I’m missing a step here) but I am wondering how (if possible) to hike from Rigi Kulm to the Mineralbad & Spa located at Rigi Kaltbad.

I was hoping to start at the top and hike down to the spa while passing the panorama trail but I’m not sure if this is possible or how long it will take. Can someone guide me on what trail to take to accomplish this?

Thank you! Looking forward to visiting this beautiful country 🙂

• Anna
    6481 posts
    6 May 2022 at 8:43:07 #941503

Hi elletremb,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, that’s correct. You can travel to Vitznau from Lucerne on a boat. To get to Rigi Kulm, you need to take the cogwheel train from Vitznau station. The train station is directly adjacent to the boat landing stage. There are various trail options at the top of Rigi Kulm. All the trails are marked with signposts. Just follow the ones leading to Rigi Kaltbad and you should be fine. I did this my kids a few years ago and it took us about 2 hours because along the way we made various stops (picnic, watched paragliders jump from the cliffs, picked flowers etc). It’s a fairly easy downhill hike and would probably take you less than 1 hour, no stops.

You can find more information about how to get to Rigi here: http://www.myswissalps.com/rigi/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

elletremb
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 May 2022 at 19:46:05 #941504

Hi Anna,

Thank you for the information and link provided! I appreciate it 🙂

Will I pass the panorama trail/cliff walk on the way down or is there another path I will have to take for that? It does seem like it’s quite accessible with all the signs posted on the mountain but I definitely don’t want to miss the panorama trail/cliff walk given it looks so amazing!

Lastly, could you perhaps provide me with a link to purchase a Swiss travel pass? From the reading I’ve done it seems to be the best option given I’ll be travelling between Zurich and Lucerne/Mount Rigi while I’m there.

Thank you again for your reply! This forum has been quite useful for a first timer.

Justine

Anna
    6481 posts
    7 May 2022 at 6:55:27 #941505

Hi elletremb,

An overview of the various trails on Rigi are available here: sismedia2.sisag.ch/rigi/sismap/html/sommer/en/

If you follow the Rigi Panorama Trail from Rigi Kulm, it will lead you to Rigi Scheidegg. This trail takes about 3 hours. From Rigi Scheidegg you can continue hiking to Rigi Kaltbad, which will take roughly 2 hours. If you don’t have all day to hike, you can shorten your hike by taking the cogwheel train and cable cars to travel between certain sections of the trail. One option would be to take the cogwheel train down from Rigi Kulm to Rigi First to start your hike to Rigi Scheidegg. This will reduce your hiking time considerably. From Rigi Scheidegg you can continue hiking to Rigi Kaltbad or switch to the cable car + cog train to get to Rigi Kaltbad. You can use the timetable to plan your journey.

With the Swiss Travel Pass, all mountain transportation in Rigi is covered. Options to purchase the STP are available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Hiking from Rigi Kulm to Mineralbad Rigi Kaltbad’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11480 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.