Travelling from Munich to Lucerne with Flixbus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 7:01:32 #814868

hi i am travelling from munich to lucerne on 30th may 2018 .. looking for direct transport the only option i got is flixbus.co.uk

15:15 Munich central bus station

21:15 Luzern (Inseli)

6 HRS. Direct

wanted review on it ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 March 2018 at 7:10:36 #879266

Being a train sort of guy I would say check the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) or Deutsche Bahn timetable (http://www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml). There are direct trains which take under 5 hours from Munich to Zurich.

I find trains much more comfortable than bus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 7:26:54 #879267

hey

thanks for the reply . but i really tried searching on all sites including which u sent there is no direct .. all have atleast 1 or 2 change.. i am not a light traveller and have my 2 years old daughter with me .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 8:23:54 #879268

Hi Natasha,

If it were me, there’s no way in the world I would spend all that time on a bus with a child of that age. Catering and toilet facilities would be much better on a train, and you will have room to stretch your legs or take your daughter for a little walk if she is restless.

The route I would take is via Innsbruck and Zürich. For example, there is a train leaving München (Munich) at 8:51 on 30 May, arriving Innsbruck at 11:18. This train has a restaurant on board. You arrive in Innsbruck on Platform 2 and depart from Platform 3, which simply means crossing from one side of the platform to the other (see attached station plan). You have a half-hour break there.

From Innsbruck you travel to Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station), departing Innsbruck at 11:48, arriving Zürich at 15:20. This train has a restaurant, snacks and drinks available, and a children’s cinema (between Innsbruck and Buchs SG). You arrive in Zürich on Platform 8 and depart from Platform 9. Again, that is simply a matter of crossing to the other side of the same platform.

The final leg of your journey from Zürich Hauptbahnhof to Luzern departs Zürich at 15:35 and arrives at 16:25. This train has a parent-and-children compartment.

Although this journey is not the fastest way of getting from München to Luzern, I would consider it the most comfortable and suitable option for someone in your circumstances. The choice, of course, is up to you.

Read Flixbus reviews before booking with them. There are many sites with reviews – this is one of them:

au.trustpilot.com/revi ew/flixbus.com

I have attached a screenshot of the suggested train connections München-Innsbruck-Zürich-Luzern (from the Deutsche Bahn website).

Alpenrose

Arno
    15482 posts
    20 March 2018 at 8:36:53 #879269

Hi Natasha,

Flixbus does not seem to offer direct routes, only a long detour with a change in Stuttgart and many hours to wait there. I would also prefer the scenic train route that Alpenrose suggested. If changes are a big deal for you, you can search for a direct Munich to Zurich train (or bus), and have one change only to reach Lucerne.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 March 2018 at 8:48:47 #879270

Yes, when I said direct from Munich to Zurich, 1 change in Lucerne was what I had in mind. But Alpenrose has a better plan perhaps?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 10:49:13 #879271

hey thanks for all d help .. will look in for all the details and book accordingly 🙂

• The thread ‘Travelling from Munich to Lucerne with Flixbus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.