Zurich- Milan, buying train ticket from SBB app

• ABHISHEK1691
    Participant
    9 posts
    8 August 2022 at 14:50:59 #828002

Hi,

I am coming to Switzerland in the next 3-4 days. I was trying to book a train ticket from Zurich HD- Miano Centrale from SBB app but was unable to proceed. Do i need to book such train tickets(which cover a region outside of Switzerland) from the website? Is this really the case or am i doing something wrong.

Also, I have created an id on SBB .ch. Do i need to create a swiss ticket shop account as well. There is a small login tab of “swiss ticket shop” that appears on the right hand side top while booking the above mentioned ticket.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 August 2022 at 18:13:50 #945326

Hi ABHISHEK1691,

From my experience, it is not possible to purchase a ticket which includes an international route online through the SBB app. You can only do it through the SBB website but you have to be logged in and have a Swiss Pass account. The best alternative is to purchase the ticket from the counter at any train station. Optionally you might find cheaper point-to-point tickets if you book them through resellers: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 August 2022 at 5:30:01 #945327

Hi ABISHEK1691,

I’m not sure what’s going wrong for you. Note that you don’t need a so-called SwissPass account for the SBB webite or app as a tourist. That’s mostly for Swiss residents. You’ll find it explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/swisspass. If you do want to proceed through the SBB website, you should be able to choose buying without logging in/without an account as some point in the purchase process.

The options linked to by Anna are usually more geared to tourist purchases, so that’s what I would advise.

ABHISHEK1691
    Participant
    9 posts
    9 August 2022 at 7:14:56 #945328

Thanks Anna and Arno.

As Anna mentioned, booking through app for this route isn’t possible. I will try and book it via website without the Swiss pass account. Let me see if it works as you have mentioned Arno. Thanks for the quick responses though.

• The thread ‘Zurich- Milan, buying train ticket from SBB app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.