This page was last updated by Annika
on 13 August 2023.
Must-knows about Switzerland’s topography
- Switzerland is located in Central Europe.
- Its bordering countries are Austria, France, Germany, Italy and Liechtenstein.
- There are excellent train connections between Switzerland and other European countries.
- Train traveling is what we recommend in Switzerland too: it’s safe, quick, and a great way to see the Swiss Alps.
- Switzerland is a small country, but traveling times in the mountains shouldn’t be underestimated.
Switzerland map with main towns
This map shows Switzerland’s location in Europe and the surrounding countries. The main tourist towns are displayed too. Zoom in for details and links to each of our town guides.
Find your town, region or activity in our lists
Rather find your information through an easy list? Use our town, region, and activity finders.
Use our town finder and select the best places for your holidays in Switzerland: from vibrant cities to mountain villages.
We introduce Switzerland’s holiday regions: the Bernese Oberland, Lake Lucerne, the Valais, Lake Zurich, Lake Geneva, the Ticino and many …
Our Swiss activity finder allows you to filter on season, budget, interests, region, and more. Find scenic train and boat …
Other websites of interest
We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.
Get a free account for a worry-free trip
- Join our 9580 members and ask us questions in the forum
- Access to member-only promotions
- Detailed maps and weather forecasts
Don’t miss our tips and new promotions
Subscribe to our newsletter. You’ll receive practical tips and be alerted when there are new promotions.
Page author: AnnikaSince early childhood I've been visiting Switzerland during my holidays and I just fell in love with the country. I spent many summers in the Bernese Oberland, which still feels like my second home, and then started to explore other areas. Traveling, hiking and photographing in the Swiss Alps are my absolute favorite activities.