Swiss motorway vignette
Since 1985, a Swiss motorway vignette (autobahn vignet) is required to use the national motorways. It's a sticker you need to apply to the inside of the windshield of your car. It is recommended to purchase the vignette before departure, to prevent delays at the Swiss border. The Swiss motorway vignette can be ordered here.
You probably want to use mountain lifts and funiculars in Switzerland. Perhaps you plan to take a cog train up into the mountains, make a boat trip or ride the Glacier Express. The Swiss Half Fare Card grants a 50% discount on the tickets. Your children (up to 15 years old) travel along for free if you order along the free Family Card. It is indispensable if you plan to do any mountain excursions. The Swiss Half Fare Card can be ordered along with the Swiss motorway vignette. An example for 2 adults and 2 children doing three day trips:
|Regular price*||Price with Swiss Half Fare Card|
|· Costs Swiss Half Fare Cards||-||CHF 220|
|· Costs Junior Cards||CHF 60||-|
|· Return tickets cog train Lauterbrunnen - Jungfraujoch||CHF 382.8||CHF 161.4|
|· Return tickets lift Stechelberg - Schilthorn||CHF 183.6||CHF 91.8|
|· Boat trip Lake Thun (Interlaken - Thun by boat, back to Interlaken by train)||CHF 105.6||CHF 52.8|
|Total||CHF 732||CHF 526|
|In this example, you save CHF 206|
|*) This is what you would pay without Swiss Half Fare Cards. Assuming the purchase of a Junior Card. It entitles free travelling when accompanied by one or both parents.|
Features Swiss motorway vignette
- The Swiss motorway vignette is required if you will be using motorways in Switzerland. So you may drive in Switzerland without a motorway vignette, if you can prevent using any motorways.
Map of Switzerland with the roads requiring the motorway vignette © Swiss Federal Department of Finance;
- the vignette must be applied to the inside of your windshield according to the enclosed instructions, before you cross the Swiss border. The motorway vignette is not valid if you leave it on the dashboard or if you use tape to apply it. You risk paying a fine and having to purchase a valid vignette;
- a valid Swiss motorway vignette allows you to cross the border using the fast lane, so you don't have to wait for people purchasing their vignette at the border;
- an additional motorway vignette is required for trailers and caravans;
- the vignette is valid for a calendar year. You may use it for 14 months (from December 1 of the previous year to January 31 of the next year);
- in some cases, even the owner of a Swiss motorway vignette has to pay road tax. This applies to some private roads, tunnels, car trains and ferries;
- the motorway vignette is required for vehicles weighing up to 3.500 kg. Other rules apply to heavier vehicles;
- you don't need to purchase a motorway vignette if you plan to rent a car in Switzerland.
Features Swiss Half Fare Card
Review the details of the Swiss Half Fare Card or review other discount cards for trains and mountain transportation.
How to purchase a Swiss motorway vignette
- Prices and purchase options for the motorway vignette can be found in the upper right corner of this page.
More about the Swiss motorway vignette
Order the motorway vignette