18-25 May family vacation in and around Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 17:59:06 #808885

Hi all! I’m writing back after nearly 3 months, after getting much clarity about my itinenary. We are a family of 5 (mom, wife, son 10yrs, daughter 5yrs, n myself), travelling to Switzerland in May.

Please note my flight schedule as under-

18 MAY BOM-ZRH 0050-0615

25 MAY ZRH-BOM 0945-2140

We are staying in Swisstour Private apartments in Lucerne throughout the stay. We have got a 8 days Swiss Travel pass and also excursion tickets to the places mentioned below.

My rough itinerary is as follows-

Day 01 : 18 May

Arrival at the Zurich Airport.

Take the train to Lucerne using Swiss Pass.

As the check in time at the Lucerne Apartment is 1500 Hrs, we are planning to leave luggage at the Station Locker Room & explore the city.

The Chapel Bridge, the Jesuit Church and the KKL Luzern, the Musegg Wall and the Transport Museum are some things we have in mind.

QUESTION: Is it possessible to cover all the above in one day? Any other places worth a visit?

Day 02 : 19 May

Take the train to Engelberg, for an Excursion to Mt. Titlis.

Things in mind- The Fun Lift, Ice Flyer Chair lift, the Glacier Grotto, the Cliff Walk and the Glacier Park.

QUESTION: what time to start from Lucern to cover all above?

Day 03 : 20 May

Take the train to Interlaken OST, for an Excursion to Mt. Jungfraujoch.

Things in mind- Ice Palace, Ski & Snowboard Park and the Sphinx observation terrace.

QUESTION- again the same-what time should we leave from Lucerne? And can we do any more things in Jungfraujoch? Any scope for sledging, skiing or say a walk to Monchhutte? Is it possible to comfortably finish everything and return back to Lucerne without kids getting too exhausted & bored?

Day 04 : 21 May

Take the train to Zermatt, for an Excursion to Matterhorn.

Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. Glacier Palace, Cinema Lounge, observation platform & photo point.

QUESTION: Would it be too hectic to cover this from Lucern? But I already have excursion tickets to the place, and have heard a lot of good things about it, and hence would like to include it in our trip, but only if feasible and worth it.

Day 05 : 22 May

Proceed for an Excursion to Stanserhorn

Things in mind- Vintage Funicular ride from Stans to Kalti, open top double decker cable car.

Day 06 : 23 May

Proceed for Jet Boat on Lake Brienz – visit Giessbach Waterfalls.

QUESTION- Can we club any other activities like paragliding, rafting, etc with this?

Day 07 : 24 May

Proceed for Rhine Falls- Take the train to Schaffhausen direct from Zurich. From there, can opt to walk along the river to Neuhausen. (Or is it better to take a bus?)

Day 08 : 25 May-

Take the direct train to the Zurich Airport, for flight back home.

QUESTIONS-

1. Does this itinerary sound good? Please do consider it also from the point of view of kids, and 68yrs (but physically very fit) mom.

2. We want to travel by golden pass at least once. Could you suggest on what route amongst above is this possible?

3. We also had golden round trip to Pilatus or Mt Rigi in mind. If we have to include that, what should we drop from above? In this regard, is cogwheel train available in 3rd week of May?

4. Does our itinerary include too many mountains? Would it make the trip monotonous? Any other alternative suggestions please?

5. Can I include a cruise over Lake Lucerne in the itinerary?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 April 2016 at 6:08:25 #850642

Welcome back Montee!

1. Most of your plans look good. Please see my further comments about a few very long days.
    2. Please see here for a map and further route details. You will in any case see part of it when traveling from Lucerne to Interlaken.
    3. The cogwheel train should operate from mid May.
    4. That’s a personal preference only you can answer. I think all mountains are different, but if you seek more variety please find suggestions in the “What to do” section. Also note that mountain trips depend on the weather, so you may or may not be able to actually visit all mountains on your list.

Regarding your questions about the option to add more activities: day 3 and 4 are very long, please see the timetable. Day 3 includes 8.5 hours just to get there and back, so with all the activities added to that, you’re looking at a 12 hour day trip. Also check the timetable to see if you can add activities to the other days. For example: a visit to Stanserhorn could take half a day if you start the day early, leaving you time for a boat trip or possibly Mount Rigi.

There’s a lot to do in Switzerland and you can’t see all of it in 8 days. The practical approach is to have a wish list and check the weather forecast each day, and your energy level, and then decide what to do the next day. An example: your plans for day 1 are doable if you take the morning for the town and the afternoon for the museum or vice versa, but you’d best save this plan for a bad weather day and visit a mountain on day 1 if the weather is good.

Please see here for how to reach the Rhine Falls.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2016 at 17:55:10 #850643

Thanks a ton Arno! That was very useful indeed! It’ll help me in a big way to fine-tune my travel plans. Shall be back with fresh queries if any, very soon… 🙂

Regds,

Montee.

• The thread ‘18-25 May family vacation in and around Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.