3 days in Switzerland– what to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2012 at 18:44:05 #805658

Hello!

My work is sending me to Switzerland for a training program in early December. I am arriving a few days early to do a bit of sightseeing, and I’m wondering what to put on my itinerary.

I will be arriving early Saturday morning in Basel, and I need to be in Bern for training on Tuesday. I would really love to see the mountains, and am thinking of staying in Interlaken until my training starts, and doing a day trip to Jungfraujoch, but I would really like to do one other day trip or excursion while I’m there. What else can you recommend? Some of the other sights around Interlaken like Harder Kulm seem to be closed that time of year.

I’m also wondering about train travel. Since I’m not going to be doing that much travelling, do you think a Swiss Pass or Card would be worth my money, or should I just get point-to-point tickets?

Thank you so much for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 October 2012 at 6:54:01 #837336

Welcome jennie! Great that you get to visit Switzerland! For a 3 day stay, Interlaken and surroundings would be perfect. You could visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn, make some easy hikes along the lakes and take scenic train trips, e.g. in the directions of Lucerne (via Meiringen and Brünig) and Zweisimmen/Gstaad. If you plan to use public transportation, a rail pass may come in handy. In that case you should probably consider the Swiss Half Fare Card. The trip to the Jungfraujoch plus another short trip would already be enough to make this more economical than buying regular tickets.

Does that get you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2012 at 10:00:01 #837337

That’s very helpful, thank you! I love the idea of doing a scenic train. Do I have to buy the half fare card ice I’m over there, or can I get it in advance? And do you know if I need to make reservations on the scenic train and Jungfrau train, or can I just show up?

Thanks again!

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 October 2012 at 10:58:07 #837338

Hi jennie,

You can purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card in advance. All purchase options can be found on the page Annika linked to. Reservations are not necessary for the Jungfrau train and most other trains. Here is more information.

• The thread ‘3 days in Switzerland– what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.