5D4N in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2013 at 11:50:42 #805922

Hi! there,
    My wife and I will be visiting Switzerland this May. I need some information with regard to this 5 Day trip as well as which pass to get and what it covers, (eg, Glacier Express).
    Day 1 – Arrive in Geneva airport in the afternoon.
    Travel by train to Wilderswil to check-in to the hotel.
    Any direct train connecting from Geneva airport to Wilderswil or must transit via Interlaken?
    Day 2 – Wilderswil to Interlaken in the morning. Half-day will be spent in Interlaken.
    Travel by train from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Zermatt.
    Day 3 – Full-day will be spent in Zermatt and probably Glacier Express.
    Day 4 – Half-day will be spent in Zermatt.
    Travel by train to Geneva in late afternoon and check-in to the hotel.
    Day 5 – Half-day will be spent in Geneva.
    Any half-day trip suggestion in Geneva? Lake Geneva?
    Travel to Geneva airport in the afternoon.
    Any suggestions and advice are very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 April 2013 at 14:43:02 #838443

Hi kychok88! That’s quite an ambitious travel scheme. It’s doable, but it’s wise to check the timetable and see if you’re fine with the traveling times displayed there. You don’t mention any viewing points in your plans; if you want to enjoy the Alps, you should definitely consider such trips. Examples are Schilthorn, Kleine Scheidegg, Männlichen, First, Schynige Platte or Jungfraujoch near Interlaken and the Gornergrat near Zermatt. Assuming you’ll maintain this itinerary, a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass for day 1-4 would be a good choice, since you’ll be making long (and thus expensive) trips. Please visit the Swiss Pass page for details and a downloadable validity map. The last day in and near Geneva will partly be covered by the Geneva Transport Card you’ll receive for free when checking in to your hotel.

You’ll always have to travel via Interlaken if you want to reach Wilderswil. If you plan to visit Interlaken anyway, it may be easier to look for a hotel in Interlaken instead of Wilderswil.

You won’t be able to do the entire Glacier Express as a day trip from Zermatt. You could travel part of it, e.g. up to Andermatt, and then return. The trips is covered by the Swiss Saver Pass, except for seat reservation fees. Zermatt itself offers more than enough to cover day 3 and 4. This list of day trips may be of help.

Hotels close to the railway stations can be found below:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2013 at 6:22:36 #838444

Hi! Annika,

First, really appreciate your reply very much.

This is our 2nd trip to Switzerland.
    Our 1st trip to Switzerland was 4 yrs ago to Interlaken (Jungfraujoch) and Luzern (Mt Pilatus).
    So, this trip we would like to see other places especially Zermatt area.
    We’ll spend a day in Interlaken because we love Interlaken area but will not join the Jungfraujoch trip.

Regarding the transport, should we get the Swiss Transfer Tickets, Swiss Card or 4-day Swiss Pass or 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass?
    Most likely we’ll join at least one of the scenic tours in Zermatt.
    Appreciate it if you could suggest which scenic tour is the most suitable based on our schedule.
    We’ll have full-day time on day 3.

Regarding the free Geneva Transport Card, we can request it from all hotels?
    Btw, we’ll be staying in NH Geneva airport hotel.

Regarding the hotel in Interlaken, most of the hotels are fully booked based on date of stay and budget.
    That’s the reason I considered Wilderswil area.
    Will it be very inconvenient to travel from Wilderswil?

Thank you so much again!

Cheers! 🙂

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 April 2013 at 3:57:06 #838445

Hi kychok88. If this is your travel plan, I still think a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass combined with a Geneva Transport Card works best. That is, if you plan to stay rather close to Geneva on your last day. As far as I know, the Transport Card is issued by all hotels, but you can contact the hotel you’ve selected in advance to make sure.

For your stay in Zermatt, I’d recommend the Gornergrat. It’s a great cog train trip and views up there are wonderful.

Don’t worry, Wilderswil is very close to Interlaken and there are lots of train connections. Just consult the timetable I mentioned for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2013 at 23:42:49 #838446

First, I’m so sorry that I click the wrong button (i.e “report to moderator”) earlier.
    Kindly ignore it….my apology!!!
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
    Below is the slight changes to the itinerary.

Day 2 – May join “Roundabout Journey 1 – Discover the BO within 1 day” trip.
    Dep. 8:35am from Interlaken OST and arrive back Interlaken OST at 4:25pm.
    Travel by train from Interlaken to Zermatt.
    Day 3 – Join the Glacier Express trip.
    Based on the Glacier Express winter timetable.
    Will it be do-able to depart from Zermatt in the morning and return from Chur in the afternoon back to Zermatt?
    http://www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/timetable_tickets/Timetable/winter/Pages/default.aspx
    Day 4 – Half-day will be spent in Zermatt and join Zermatt-Gornergrat Bahn.
    Travel by train from Zermatt to Geneva in late afternoon and check-in to the hotel.
    If we get the 4-day Swiss Pass,
    i) Zermatt-Gornergrat Bahn will be 100% fully covered?
    ii) Glacier Express will be 50% or 100% covered?
    iii) Roundabout Journey 1 – Discover the BO within 1 day will be fully 100% covered?
    If yes, will be covered all the above trips or we can only choose 1 or 2 of them only?
    Thanks again!
    Cheers! 🙂

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 April 2013 at 10:10:10 #838447

Hi kychok88! If you download the validity map from the Swiss Pass page, you’ll get to see which routes are for free and which are discounted. To sum up: the Gornergrat is discounted by 50%; the Glacier Express by 100% except for seat reservations; regular train and bus routes for the Bernese Oberland journey are for free and cable cars/mountain trains are discounted by 50%, except for the leg Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg Grindelwald: 25%.

I’m not sure if I understand your last question on choosing from trips correctly. Can you please clarify?

You can best consult the summer timetable for the Glacier Express, since you’re traveling in May. The Swiss timetable I mentioned helps you plan your trip from Chur back to Zermatt. If you take the earliest Glacier Express, you’ll manage to get back to Zermatt by 8 or 9 pm.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2013 at 10:49:16 #838448

[quote]Annika said: Hi kychok88! If you download the validity map from the Swiss Pass page, you’ll get to see which routes are for free and which are discounted. To sum up: the Gornergrat is discounted by 50%; the Glacier Express by 100% except for seat reservations; regular train and bus routes for the Bernese Oberland journey are for free and cable cars/mountain trains are discounted by 50%, except for the leg Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg Grindelwald: 25%.
    I’m not sure if I understand your last question on choosing from trips correctly. Can you please clarify?
    I’m sorry! What I meant was the 4-day Swiss Pass are valid for all the 3 trips I selected (Zermatt-Gornergrat, Glacier Express and Bernese Oberland journey).
    Do you think is possible for us to take the Golden Pass Line (Montreux to Interlaken) on day 1 instead of the normal train?
    We’ll touch down Geneva airport on 3 May, around 1pm.
    If it’s possible, the 4-day Swiss Pass can be fully utilised from day 1 to day 4. 🙂

You can best consult the summer timetable for the Glacier Express, since you’re traveling in May. The Swiss timetable I mentioned helps you plan your trip from Chur back to Zermatt. If you take the earliest Glacier Express, you’ll manage to get back to Zermatt by 8 or 9 pm.[/quote]
    Too bad…we’ll be joining the Glacier Express on 5 May (means to follow the Winter timetable). Do you think it’s still possible to do it in a day?
    Could you help me on the Winter timetable? I don’t really quite understand the return trip from Chur back to Zermatt.
    Thank you so much!

Annika
    7124 posts
    16 April 2013 at 10:33:24 #838449

Right, I see why you linked to the winter timetable. Just follow this one to plan the Glacier Express trip up to Chur and the regular timetable for your trip back. Fill out Chur as your departure station and Zermatt as your destination. Fill in the right date and pick a departure time that’s about half an hour (or so) after the arrival of the Glacier Express in Chur.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2013 at 12:13:28 #838450

Hi! Annika,

Regarding the Glacier Express trip, if we travel up to Andermatt, and then return Zermatt.
    Based on the winter timetable, arr Andermatt at 12:48 by train 910.
    Are we able to join train 903 dep Adndermatt at 13:54?
    If yes, we should reach back Zermatt at 17:00.

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/timetable_tickets/Timetable/winter/Pages/default.aspx

Btw, the Swiss Pass can be validated multiple journeys or unlimited travels within the same day?
    e.g: Day 3 – From Zermatt to Andermatt and then return from Andermatt to Zermatt by Glacier Express trains.

Kindly pls do advice…..thanks.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 April 2013 at 14:13:38 #838451

Hi again! You can travel without limits with your Swiss Pass and make multiple journeys within one day. So Zermatt-Andermatt-Zermatt is no problem at all. Yes, or course you can get on the trains to and from Andermatt as you described.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2013 at 12:32:56 #838452

Hi! Annika
    Thanks for the advice again.
    We had decided to get the Swiss Saver Pass (4 days).
    Below is the updated itinerary.
    Kindly further advice.
    Any suggestions/comments from all are welcome!
    Day 1 – Arrive in Geneva airport in the afternoon.
    Travel by train to Wilderswil to check-in to the hotel.
    Spend time in Wilderswil or Interlaken (if time permit).
    Day 2 – Travel by train from Wilderswil to Interlaken in the morning.
    Join the day trip in Interlaken (probably Roundabout Journey 1).
    http://www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland/berneseoberland-attractions.asp?lang=EN#circulartrip
    Travel by train from Interlaken to Zermatt in the late afternoon.

Day 3 – Full-day will be spent in Zermatt.
    i) Zermatt-Gornegrat
    ii) Zermatt-Klein Matterhorn
    iii) Zermatt city walk
    etc…etc (if time permit)
    http://www.myswissalps.com/valais/activities
    Day 4 – Travel by Glacier Express from Zermatt (09:52hr) to Andermatt (12:48hr).
    Lunch at Andermatt.
    Travel by train from Andermatt (13:54hr) by Glacier Express via Brig to Geneva (18:27hr).
    Overnite in Geneva.
    Day 5 – Half-day will be spent in Geneva.
    Any suggestion? Lake Geneva trip possible?
    or probably city tour?
    Take the shuttle bus from Geneva hotel to airport in the afternoon.
    Say goodbye to Switzerland!!

Cheers! 🙂

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 April 2013 at 15:24:07 #838453

Hello kychok88! I think this looks fine. It’s a lot of traveling, but as long as your fine with it, it’s okay! It might be a bit optimistic to visit both Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn in one day. Timewise it’s doable, but I suggest you only get up to Klein Matterhorn if weather is still fine after your visit to the Gornergrat. You should definitely check local weather forecasts for this day and make a back-up plan in case of clouds and/or rain. For half a day in Geneva, I indeed suggest a city tour or a short boat trip. Make sure to arrive at the airport for your flight well in time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2013 at 2:07:36 #838454

Hi! Annika,
    Thanks for the valuable advice again!

1) Day 3 – Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn if time and weather permit.
    Do I need to book the excursions in advance?

2) Day 4 – Travel by Glacier Express from Zermatt (09:52hr) to Chur (15:35hr).
    Travel by regular train from Chur (16:09hr) to Geneva (20:15hr).
    Is the Glacier Express train stop for alighting (Chur) and the regular train for boarding (Chur) are at the same location?
    The reason is we need to catch the regular train from Chur to Geneva within 30mins with our luggages.
    If not or inconvenient, we’ll stick to original plan to change at Andermatt and then to Geneva.

3) Day 5 – Half a day in Geneva, will definitely do a city tour or a short boat trip (if time permit) as suggested.
    We got the 4 days Swiss Saver Pass for day 1 – day 4 only.
    Do we still be entitled discounts (if any) for the city tour or short boat trip, etc on day 5?
    Will the Geneva Transport Card partly covers those trips?

Thanks.

Best regards.

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 April 2013 at 14:10:21 #838455

Hi again.

1) No, you don’t have to book the Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn in advance.

2) Platform numbers are mentioned in the timetable, but 30 minutes should be sufficient to change trains, even with your luggage.

3) The Swiss Pass is no longer valid at day 5 of your stay. The Geneva Transport Card covers all urban bus and tram transportation. A full overview and/or a map will be provided along with the card in your hotel.

• The thread ‘5D4N in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.