Accomodations in Bernese Oberland in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2011 at 0:20:45 #804789

Hi (and thanks in advace for your help) –
    Three of us are planning on being in Switzerland mid- to late September next year, primarily for hiking and sightseeing.
    1) Our first week we plan on hiking through part of the Bernase Oberland. Is it realistic to think that we can walk into an area and find a hut, a farmhouse, or a berghaus with a dormitory where we can stay? Or do we need to have reservations in advance?
    2) For our second week we’d like to find a different area of Switzerland from which to make a variety of non-hiking day trips. Any suggestions for a city or region that we would enjoy or that would be a good base for outings?
    3) Also, is it best for us to carry dollars, swiss francs, euros, traveller’s checks? Do most places take MasterCard or Visa?

We really like your site – fun just reading though the forum.

Kimandfred

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2011 at 21:40:06 #834511

You’re going to love the Bernese Oberland! I went there in August with my fiance and received help on these boards before the trip.

1) We made reservations at a simple hotel and we were very happy. There were vacancies when we were in the area, but there were a couple places we might have wanted to stay that were full (Mountain Hostel and Chalet Bobs). Not having gone there in September, I couldn’t give you a definite answer.

2) When we go to Switzerland again, we really want to go to Geneva, Lausanne, and Château de Chillon. I also want to swim the river Aare in Bern!

3) Francs for sure (and lots), although places also accepted Euros. No need for traveler’s checks at all in Europe. Visa worked perfectly.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2011 at 5:13:03 #834512

Hello Kimandfred,

Alpine Summer Camp will be glad to welcome you into one of our houses: Simplon and Mehrbettusli, in Kandersteg, right in the heart of the Swiss Alps.
    Overnight price: from 25CHF – 40CHF.
    Please feel free to contact us for more information!
    Best Regards,
    Alpine Summer Camp

• The thread ‘Accomodations in Bernese Oberland in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.