Bernina Express with one day travel pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 10:09:42 #812749

Hi, I am trying to book Bernina express from Chur to Tirano. I will be coming from Zurich. On the booking website, I can see an option to get discounts is one day pass issued by local commune. Is that only for holders of swiss half fare card or others as well, who buy a day pass for a city ? (for example if I buy a day pass of Zurich including all zones, will it be eligible for discounts in Bernina express tickets?)

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 15:37:35 #867408

Welcom on MySwissAlps,

A local city pass (for example Zurich) is only for the city (buses and trams) not for a (long) train trip from Chur to Tirano (in Italy), and also not for the train from Zurich to Chur.

Greetings Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 16:39:05 #867409

Hi sharmidh,

If you are planning on buying a Swiss Travel Pass for your trip to Switzerland it will cover the Bernina Express trip (except mandatory reservations). The Swiss Half Fare Card will also get you 50% off the ticket cost.

If you buy the Swiss Half Fare Card you can then buy the one day travel pass which covers this train as well (but you have to buy both of those rail passes) and reservations are extra always.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 8:28:27 #867410

Thanks Brahms and Lucas. Looks like the swiss pass is the most convenient option.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express with one day travel pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.