Best train ticket for Zurich-Locarno-Thun-Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 19:01:48 #809216

My husband, myself and my 13 year old daughter will be travelling from Zurich to Locarno, to Thun taking an excursion to the Jungfraujoch, going back to Thun,and then back to Zurich. We are in Switzerland from July 19-August 2. What are the best train tickets for us to buy?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 May 2016 at 6:24:45 #852114

Welcome to our website BMayer!

The answer to your question depends on all of your travel plans combined. I suppose you’ve planned to do quite some day trips during your 14 days in Switzerland, either by train, bus, boat or mountain transport. Regular tickets will work out too expensive, so you need a rail pass. The below pages give you two pass options and a way to determine which one is best. My estimate would be that the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is the best and easiest option. Your daughter travels along for free everywhere you go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 11:48:21 #852115

Thank you so much. To make sure I’m clear, if my husband and I purchase the Swiss 15 day travel passes for ourselves, then our daughter is covered under our passes and travels free?

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 May 2016 at 12:34:18 #852116

Yes indeed. When you order the pass, you can indicate you have your child traveling along with you. That will get you a free Swiss Family Card which allows her to travel along for free everywhere you go with the pass. Even if you go to a peak which is not free but discounted, you would only need to buy tickets for the adults as your daughter still travels for free there. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

• The thread ‘Best train ticket for Zurich-Locarno-Thun-Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.