Blausee with children

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2010 at 6:28:13 #803801

Hello, I’ve been orientating on a central location for my Swiss trip with my grandchildren here before and I managed to narrow it down to the Bernese Oberland. I think Spiez will be the base for our holidays.

Now I’m trying to find some activities for my grandchildren as well. We’ll be train traveling, but not on all days. I happened to run into this place called Blausee and it looked like a fun place for little children. Can anyone confirm this? What can we do there? And is it possible to combine our visit with a short and easy hike?

Thank you again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    29 April 2010 at 10:15:42 #831181

Hello Bernice,

We have been there with out children many times. From Spiez you can reach Blausee-Mitholz by train in about 30 minutes. The lake itself is quite small, very blue and the water is extremely pure and clear. Trouts are swimming around and you can see many petrified trees in the water. A small and free boat trip is fun for children. You can visit a trout nursery and they keep some animals. There is a restaurant where you can also buy trouts to grill them on public fireplaces. There’s also a small playgroud for children.
    The surrounding nature is very nice, the part with woods and rocks even have a mysterious atmosphere (to my taste that is). Small hikes are possible even with youger children going slightly up and down. The river Kander is very near.
    You might consider visiting Riegelsee zoo (outisde the premises of the lake), about 1 km. to the north.

Enjoy your stay,

Annika
    7125 posts
    29 April 2010 at 10:26:10 #831182

Hi Bernice, I’d say that a visit to the Blausee is a very nice day trip for children. I’ve been there as a child often and I still love it, although it’s definitely a tourist spot. The surrounding forest is indeed, as Wandermann says, a bit mysterious and the deep-blue lake is beautiful. Hikes can be made in the woods. If your grandchildren are up for a longer walk, you may even start in Frutigen and walk to Blausee through the valley. This is a nice, quiet trail with hardly any descents or ascents.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2010 at 7:00:21 #831183

There is no train service to Blausee (except for one very early morning train). To get there you have to take the train from Spiez to Frutigen and then transfer to a bus to Blausee. Swiss Passes are honered on the bus.
    Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2010 at 3:53:20 #831184

Thank you all for your replies! Well, a visit to Blausee with my grandchildren seems to be a very good plan. And thank you for your tip on transport, Dick. I think we’ll try to hike there from Frutigen, but on our way back we’ll probably go by bus and train, so it’s good to know how this must be done.

• The thread ‘Blausee with children’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.