Bus from Martigny to Chamonix in mid-September

• mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    5 July 2021 at 16:04:39 #825910

Hi,

We’re finally getting to come back to Switzerland in September 2021. I’m trying to determine how we can get from Martigny to Chamonix on September 16th. Based on what I’m finding the Mont Blanc Express will be out of service starting on September 12, and that a bus between Vallorcine and Chamonix will be required. I’m not finding any bus routes available for dates after September 12 on the SBB schedule. I’ve tried finding other schedules for buses in that area but not having any luck. Does anyone know where I can find the bus schedule for traveling between those two cities? We have the Swiss Rail Pass.

Thank you,

MIke

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    5 July 2021 at 19:15:30 #935584

Hi Mike,

It seems there will be disruption to the Mont Blanc Express from 12 September onwards. Based on the SBB timetable however, there would still be regional train services from Martigny to Vallorcine on the French border after 12 September. So perhaps you can take this, and switch to a bus from Vallorcine to Chamonix. The Mont Blanc bus website is: chamonix.montblancbus.com/en

Alternatively, you can travel to Chamonix using the Leman Express via Geneva.

Also, you can check this out for inspiration: guided tour to Chamonix from Geneva.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 July 2021 at 5:21:08 #935585

Hi Mike,

The website of the local public transport company (Transports de Martigny et Régions) is one more option to try if you can’t find the schedule you need: http://www.tmrsa.ch.

norse_aztec
    Participant
    3 posts
    16 July 2021 at 4:40:50 #935586

I’m doing this same route on the same date…hopefully. You say “Based on what I’m finding the Mont Blanc Express will be out of service starting on September 12”. Were you able to get this confirmed? I know the schedule they’ve issued is only valid until September 12th and tickets are unavailable afterwards but I’m not seeing anything otherwise that indicates that it will be out of service. Perhaps they haven’t issued the autumn schedule yet? Doesn’t sound Swiss but I would think that there would be some sort of announcement if the service was going down for months.

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 July 2021 at 5:32:12 #935587

Hi norse aztec,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps.

I’m with you about the current timetable being valid only until 12th September. On the SBB timetable, I can see that trains still run from Martigny to Vallorcine at the Swiss-French border but beyond that services are unavailable. This may be because the timetable has not been updated yet on the French side. Its’ best to contact the Mont Blanc Express operator for clarification.

Regards,

Anna

mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    16 July 2021 at 11:57:16 #935588

Hi,

That’s funny we are both looking to travel that same route on the same day. We’re expecting to arrive in Vallorcine around 18:00, hopefully buses/taxis will still be running. I have emailed several “folks” and asked for some assistance on how we can get from Vallorcine to Chamonix. The consensus is that a bus will be running, and a taxi is also available. I’m actually waiting on our hotel to get back to me about the best option.

I think we’ll just have to wait and see when the new bus schedule is available. We made our hotel reservation with free cancellation just in case. I’m sure it will work out, considering all that’s gone on the past year that is the least of our concerns.

Good luck!

norse_aztec
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 July 2021 at 21:29:16 #935589

Hi Anna: Thanks for the welcome. I wrote to the rail operator and will share their response if they provide any new information.

Hi mikefrank: I know, imagine my surprise when looking for this info and finding someone with the exact same question for the exact same day! As you’ve probably seen, the Express will continue to operate from Chamonix down into France and it’s only the section between Vallorcine and Chamonix that’s a problem. There’s a bus #2 every half hour from Argentiere to Chamonix that only solves half the problem (http://www.chamonix.net/sites/default/files/Attachments/chamonix-bus-ligne2-tour-bossons.pdf, but only valid until Sept 5). Chamonix.net speaks of a bus #18 that connects Vallorcine, but that bus doesn’t appear to be operating presently. Seemingly the best info comes from http://www.switzerlandbyrail.com, who in 2020 wrote “The trip normally takes about an hour, but for the next two years a tunnel construction project is underway on the French side. In May/early June and possible Oct/Nov the line will be closed from the Swiss border to Argentière. During this time a bus will carry passengers from Le Chatelard to Argentière, where the train can be boarded for the rest of the way to Chamonix. The bus is included with the ticket or pass. But allow two hours for the trip”. So you should be fine, they just need to announce the details and open up ticket sales. I think I’m going to pass on Chamonix this trip and wait for another time when the train is running the entire length. Have fun!

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 July 2021 at 9:02:37 #935590

Hi norse aztec!

It would be great if you’d share the information you receive from the rail operator here. Thanks in advance!

In case you’d still like to visit Chamonix/Mont Blanc in spite of the railway maintenance: there are (independent and guided) bus trips available to Chamonix/Mont Blanc as well. You’ll find some options at http://www.myswissalps.com/geneva/activities. But of course you can also leave it for another time. Lots of other scenic trips in Switzerland are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/scenictrips.

norse_aztec
    Participant
    3 posts
    19 July 2021 at 20:59:54 #935591

Hi Annika,

I wrote to the Mont Blanc Express rail operator and the Chamonix Valley regional bus operator. I received replies from two people at the bus company and one at the rail company, all reprinted below.

From the bus operator:

1. “Actually there is any bus from Vallorcine to Chamonix, only trains. And it will be the same during autumn.”

2. “As Mont Blanc Express is a train service, you will want to ask the SNCF to know if there is a service on those dates. Usually, their services are replaced with special SNCF buses, but it would be better to have it checked with SNCF services.”

From the rail operator:

“Yes there are works on the line. There will be buses running instead of the trains.”

N.A.

Anna
    6382 posts
    20 July 2021 at 7:08:28 #935592

Hi norse aztec,

Thanks for sharing those information.

Regards,

Anna

mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    23 July 2021 at 13:07:11 #935593

I was looking on the SBB app this morning and now it’s showing the train running from Martingy to Chamonix up to November 11th, 2021. It looks like they moved the date from September. I’m hoping that is correct information I’m now seeing.

Mike

mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    23 July 2021 at 15:43:14 #935594

I wanted to correct my previous post, the SBB schedule is reflecting a Bus from Martingy to Chamonix after September 12, 2021 and not a train. So now we at least know the Bus schedule and can use it.

Thanks.

• The thread ‘Bus from Martigny to Chamonix in mid-September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.