Buying Swiss Rail pass from Zurich Airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 7:06:22 #811339

Hi,

I am planning to Visit Zurich this May and go around places in Swiss for 4-5 days. Can i buy swiss rail pass at Zurich Airport ? Also do they accept Euros to I need to have CHF ?

Thanks,

Kushal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 7:33:53 #861210

Hi Kushal,

Yes, you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass at Zurich airport – there is a Swiss railways office (SBB) located there. However, it is much more convenient to buy it online.

This way, you have an electronic backup of the pass in case you lose it, and you can print it at home and just jump on the first train you want without have it wait inline at the office after arriving in Zurich.

Have a look here for purchasing options.

Most shops and restaurants, but not all, in major cities accept euros without issue. Some locations and stores in smaller towns however will ask for Francs (CHF) so it is wise to have some with you as well.

Are you staying in Zurich for the entire trip? Or planning on staying in other towns? Note our information pages I just linked have details on what to do at each town and help on hotels.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2017 at 16:16:21 #861211

Note that paying in euros in Switzerland is often an option but the exchange rate won’t be favourable (as the risk of accepting foreign currency is on the vendor). Change will be in francs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 5:29:32 #861212

Hi,

Thanks for replying and providing such detailed information. one more query I had was that is return journey to Zurich Airport included even after expiry of Swiss pass

I am planned to arrive @ Zurich Airport on 6th May and depart back on 10th May, during these 4 days I’ll be going to areas around Interlaken & Luzern. Now, If I buy a 4 days Swiss rail pass – that will be valid on 6,7,8,&9th May, do i need to buy a separate ticket on 10th May for going back to Zurich Airport ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 6:27:05 #861213

Hi Kushal,

Yes, if your Swiss Travel Pass has expired you will need to buy a new ticket on May 10 to get to Zurich Airport.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Buying Swiss Rail pass from Zurich Airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.