Chocolate train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2011 at 10:45:04 #804428

Hi everyone – not long to go now before we start our trip! Thanks to this forum and other websites have gathered together lots of information and ideas for trips during our stay. We are spending a week in Biel/Bienne and two weeks in Thun. We would like to take the chocolate train excursion from Montreux ( an early start from either Biel or Thun to reach Montreux in time but have found train times from timetable and it is do-able) I know you have to make reservations in advance for the trip but want to know if this can be done in either Biel or Thun as we don’t want to travel to Montreux just to make the reservations. Can we book places and buy tickets in advance in rail stations other than Montreux? We have Swiss Saver Pass which gives us a reduction on the price. Hope someone out there knows the answer to my question! Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2011 at 13:39:27 #833287

Hi Maggie,

Good to hear that you’re ready to go! As for booking the Chocolate Train: there’s no need to go to Montreux just for this reservation. I’m quite sure you can book it at any manned station in Switzerland. You can also book it online through the links on our reservation page. You might find that the reservation page of the Golden Pass railway company currently doesn’t work (that’s what I noticed when trying to book for early July), but they will display an e-mail address and telephone numbers to arrange for your booking.

Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2011 at 8:49:20 #833288

Thank you Arno, we will make the reservation and buy ticket in either Biel or Thun depending on which place we decide to take this trip from. As I said I have gathered lots of information together and am looking forward to another very varied holiday. We usually manage to combine the more obvious places to visit with some less “touristy” destinations and have found many hidden gems in past visits. We will have to spend a little time sifting through all my research and making some choices before we go or we will need an extra bag just to take it all along!! Will be a different experience anyway this year as instead of 2 weeks half-board in hotel by lake Thun, we have arranged a week B and B in hotel in Biel followed by 2 weeks in an apartment in Thun. So looking forward to buying our own food in Thun’s delightful market instead of just admiring the goods as we usually do! Will post a report of what we got up to after we get back in case it gives other visitors some different ideas about what you can do in this lovely country. Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum for their ideas and helpful information. Maggie

• The thread ‘Chocolate train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.