Clothing for Switzerland late May to early June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 23:45:37 #811593

I will be traveling Zurich to Neuchatel, May 26&27. Then onto Zermat. (Matterhorn G. Paridise) / {GE. to St. Moritz} Innsbruck, Salzburg, Garmish, {Zugspitze}) I have a weather app. & taking note of this forum, I know I will need thin dri-fit layers, rain gear, etc. BUT, with this itinerary, am I being neive to think I will be able to wear shorts & short sleeve shirts in the trains & towns!!? Thank you for any advise to limit my back packing.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 April 2017 at 20:14:07 #862436

Hi peterzier,

Your understanding of the special requirements for mountain top visits is correct. But whether you’ll be able to be dressed in shorts and shirts down in the valleys and towns is very hard to predict. If you’re lucky weather is very comfortable by late May/early June, but it can still be chilly, rainy and windy. Note that Zermatt is at high altitude, so temperatues are relatively low there. I’d surely pack some long trousers and (light fleece) sweaters too if I were you. Please find more information at myswissalps.com/weathe r.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 15:07:32 #862437

Thank you for the information. I will limit the shorts and short-sleeve shirts. What confuses me, I see in Innsbruck Salzburg Garmisch temperatures today and tomorrow in the sixties/ forties with 30 and 50% chance of snow showers/ mix? I thought it has to be below 32.?

if anybody is in Austria Germany now or has been during the late October time, please inform me of how you need to dress in these areas. Thank you.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    30 April 2017 at 23:21:38 #862438

Hi Peterzier,

Salzburg has a reputation for being wet, so good rain gear including waterproof shoes are essential. I’ve been there in both summer and winter and spent a lot of the time under an umberella. From memory, Garmisch is higher than either Innsbruck or Salzburg and should be a bit colder.

Snow fall is not dependant on the temperature at ground level, but at cloud level. Temperature decreases 1 Deg C for every 100 mtrs of altitude, so it is entirely possible to get snow showers in the valleys when conditions at altitude are right. Grindelwald had string of sunny days last month, the crocuces had bloomed, then last week got 40 cms of snow overnight. Mountains make their own weather.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 1:57:10 #862439

Thanks for the additional info. I figured the cooler temps for snow were at mountain tops. I will prepare for the wet weather, but invision sunny balmy shorts weather~!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 May 2017 at 2:22:22 #862440

Hope for the best – prepare for the worst 🙂

• The thread ‘Clothing for Switzerland late May to early June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.